Cycling In Heavy Traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
if you're in London you're unlikely to find fast moving heavy traffic :becool:

It's better riding n heavy traffic as opposed-to fast moving traffic,whereas a bonehead has a mobile phone also glued to it's ear.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I love cycling in heavy traffic. Its what has actually brought me to like city roads.
The summer before last was very busy here in NW and there were queues for miles into local towns. And I loved it. Just the sense of negotiating people with their windows down and trying to get some air and I can just zip by and be on my way. I enjoyed it so much, I would often turn around and do that section of road again (just to rub it in). I had some nice people move over for me and it really brightened up the day.
Thats why I want to move to a city location or work in a city. Because I will be able to filter with other cyclists in heavy traffic at peak times and just see all of these infuriated drivers who cannot understand that the concept of a bicycle in a city makes far more sense than their car.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I love cycling in heavy traffic. Its what has actually brought me to like city roads.
The summer before last was very busy here in NW and there were queues for miles into local towns. And I loved it. Just the sense of negotiating people with their windows down and trying to get some air and I can just zip by and be on my way. I enjoyed it so much, I would often turn around and do that section of road again (just to rub it in). I had some nice people move over for me and it really brightened up the day.
Thats why I want to move to a city location or work in a city. Because I will be able to filter with other cyclists in heavy traffic at peak times and just see all of these infuriated drivers who cannot understand that the concept of a bicycle in a city makes far more sense than their car.

I couldn't agree more. I sometimes ...no actually always ...feel more comfortable in heavy traffic than on open roads. I enjoy often being the fastest thing on the road, riding at the same (or faster) pace as all the other vehicles and being part of the traffic, not a spectator.

I feel much safer on the pushbike than the motorcycle, have much more vision and believe that I get more courtesy from drivers when on the pushbike than the motorcycle.

Davidsw8

Why? They're brilliant - convenient, cheap, and have got loads more people cycling, and are really easy to ride. I love 'em and use them whenever I have get around town.

I've used them too and I appreciate the cost and convenience aspect of them. The trouble is, in my experience, most of the people that use them have very little experience cycling and even less experience cycling in London (or the UK). I see them wobble through red lights and squeezing through very tight gaps in between buses etc. all the time; two guys even came at me crossing Parliament Square trying to go the wrong way up Whitehall not long ago.

They're also too heavy to get out of tricky situations easily.

Also, when I've used them, I've found it a job to find somewhere to park it at the other end. You get to one bike stop and it's full, check the computer and it says there's loads of spaces at one nearby and there are none, check again, go to another bike stop, same story so you just end up waiting to see if someone comes along to take a bike away and free up a space...

I cycled in London (as a child) before I drove there, but looking back it was all about good luck and not about judgement.

Later I drove, cycled and rode a motorcycle in The Smoke. Each mode of transport gave me tips and hints about the others.

It may be worth having a little drive around London in a car (or being a passenger in one) to see how cyclists look from behind glass and pillars.

This is not as silly a point as it may sound. If you know how you appear to motorists and which other visual signals you are competing with for their attention, you may be better able to put yourself in the clever place and minimise the chances of an unpleasantness.

Having said that, I've had relatively few unplanned dismounts in London over the decades. More were my fault than not - and the speeds are lower than in The Sticks, so anything striking you may do so at a lower closing speed.

Lorries, buses and high-sided vehicles would be something I'd look out for just a little bit motre than I would other traffic.

I do creep up the nearside of the odd bus or lorry, but in doing so I accept that I may be altering my appointment with my maker.

Generally speaking, avoid the nearside of lorries, buses, even panel vans.... Be aware that many HGVs are LHD or have LHD tractor units.

Avoid braking on painted lines and have a huge amount of fun!

thefollen

Veteran
Agree with the above.

After a couple of runs you'll have a feel for the traffic and think 'why on earth was I worried!?'. Maybe do a dry run at the weekend alone or with an experienced mate. I've led a couple of people on their first commute before (although saying that- it's far easier going solo- speeds, light changes, filtering etc).

Top Bottom