Cycling In London - What's your Experience?! Help our University Research Project!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
I started to answer, but the questions are aimed at somebody who currently commutes into London. I am now retired but have commuted into London and other destinations for over 40 years so might have useful feedback, but couldn't get past the first couple of questions.

OP
OP
C

cyclingzt01

Hi Sharky - definitely interested in your experience. What would you say would help make cycling safer and easier during your travels? Maybe another way of looking at it would be - what are the things that concern you the most whilst cycling? Other motorists, not knowing where to lock up your bike?

I started to answer, but the questions are aimed at somebody who currently commutes into London. I am now retired but have commuted into London and other destinations for over 40 years so might have useful feedback, but couldn't get past the first couple of questions.

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
From the survey it looks like you are more interested on whether knowing about potholes in advance would be useful.

Sharky

Guru
Hi Sharky - definitely interested in your experience. What would you say would help make cycling safer and easier during your travels? Maybe another way of looking at it would be - what are the things that concern you the most whilst cycling? Other motorists, not knowing where to lock up your bike?
OK, will get my thoughts together and post something a bit later.

Sharky

Guru
Well my first experience of commuting into London was on the days of train strikes and 3 day weeks. Prior to then the idea of commuting by bike was an alien thought. Colleagues were going to work in bowlers and anybody traveling by bike were looked down on.

That all changed with the train strikes. While the firm were putting people into hotels and hiring coaches to bring people into the office. I just decided to cycle in from near Dartford.

Colleagues began to respect cyclists. But looking back there was a complete lack of changing facilities or places to secure the bike. As the only cyclist, I was allowed to store my bike in the basement computer room.

I now appreciate with subsequent commutes how valuable and essential storage and wash facilities are to the commuter.

Moving on about 30 years and to my last commute. A mere 15 miles, but away from London. By now the uk were had strong representatives in the tdf and everybody was talking bikes. At this firm, the number of cyclists grew considerably from just me to more than a dozen. The building was modern and had showers, but only one, so often you started work in lycra and had to wait for your turn in the shower.

So a key wish would be for firms to have a decent number of showers and also lockers for clothing.

Going back to the 70's, the roads were quite different. No bus lanes or cycle paths. But that was not a problem. In many ways much better than todays attempts to provide cycle paths. In those days, cyclists were fewer and just learned to live with motorists. Traffic was slower and cyclists could easily move between cars in safety.

The advent of bus lanes really do not help cyclists. We are now sharing the roads with huge buses and taxis that speed along and get impatient when held up by cyclists. It was much safer before bus lanes.

Cycle paths if truly apart from cars are OK, but those stupid narrow painted lines at the side of roads are a waste of time. They are only there on the straight and safe bits of a road and when it comes to the dangerous junctions and roundabouts, they dissappear and provide no help to cyclists.

In an ideal world, the cycle paths would only be present where the were really needed.

There are a few cycle paths around which have traffic light controls. But to get round a roundabout, you have to stop numerous times to cross all the exits. I would rather just ride in the normal lanes and take the same route as the cars.

So summing up, working for firms that welcome cyclists and provide storage and decent wash facilities are real gems.

And on the road decent cycle paths that help at the dangerous and risky sections.

Hope this helps

Dommo

Veteran
The advent of bus lanes really do not help cyclists. We are now sharing the roads with huge buses and taxis that speed along and get impatient when held up by cyclists. It was much safer before bus lanes.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Bus lanes are absolutely where I prefer to be. Yes, we share them with buses but at least they are "relatively" predictable in their behaviour and the lane usually provides much more visibility that mixing it with the normal traffic lanes. The rest of the traffic is often dropping to slower speeds and therefore encouraging lane-dodging behaviour from people trying to beat the queue.

The advent of physically segregated cycle lanes (in London, at least) has left me in a quandary. Many of them are too tight for sensible bike overtaking which I need to do on a longish commute (1 hr 40 to do 40km) to get any sensible pace. This means I then end up avoiding some of the cycle lanes and riding parts back with the traffic who then tell me I'm doing something "illegal, 'cos there's a cycle lane" and therefore are well within their rights to punishment-pass me.

Oh, and I've just done the questionnaire. As pointed out, it seems to be targeted towards potholes. I can't say I'd alter my route based on a map telling me where they are. I ride around them when I see them and curse them if I don't see them in time. ;)

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

I’ve also completed the questionnaire. My main irritation at the moment is bike lanes that segregate cyclists from traffic but put us with pedestrians. Often, they have high kerbs on the road side (to keep the cars out) but as I ride a fixed, I’m always nervous that my pedal could strike the kerb and cause an accident - happened to me once and I only just managed to stop and remain upright.

Personally, I hate what Kingston have just done in widening the pavements significantly on Kingston Hill and turning half of the pavement into a cycle lane. The problem is that there are regular bus stops (with rubbish bins and concrete posts right in the middle of what is now the cycle bit of the path): this forces cyclists to move left (because the kerb doesn’t let them move right!), into whoever is waiting for the bus. That tends to be mums with pushchairs and elderly people who are likely to be nervous about cyclists, especially on a downhill bit when they could be approaching at speed. Also, the segregation from traffic is so severe that it isn’t that easy for cyclists to move into the cycle lane if they happen to be in the road to start with ( v high kerbs with few spaces and regular bollards just high enough to catch the bottom of many drop bars) - so far I’ve seen two cyclists come a cropper and fall off when trying to enter the cycle lane.

Similarly, I was cycling down the Embankment in central London on Tuesday, which has changed Since I last used it. So little traffic that it’s hard to get an accurate impression. The road was always wide and traffic could travel quickly, but there was a wide bus lane that cyclists could use (and at peak commuting time, there are a LOT of cyclists). Now, they‘ve turned long stretches of the bus lane into a dedicated cycle lane that can’t be used by buses (separated by regular bollards rather than a kerb, fortunately). But the bus stops are still on the inside (obviously), so the buses have to move left across the cycle lane to allow passengers on and odd, and then move back again, into a narrow lane of cars etc. I was there mid-morning so I couldn’t see how it would work in peak traffic, but does seem and odd layout.

DSK

Trouble is off road cycle lanes are good in theory but most people I see commuting are on road even with these cycle lanes on the pavements.

Avoids pedestrians, avoids the repeated drop kerbs and you can keep up a decent momentum and cyclists riding at walking pace don't become objects to doge.

In all honesty, motorists (and cyclists) just need to a do as per the highway code and all will be fine regardless of where one rides/drives. Its just people's own self righteous, arrogant, irrational attitudes/actions that cause problems.

Top Bottom