Cycling safety cams ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
I swop batteries on my (different) camera - I do not bother with the date / time stamp on the image but do tweak the time after a change. That camera does not lose entirely the time etc but defaults to that last set which if not altered will result in the video files being in scrambled order in terms of the ride.

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

"Safety cam" is a term which I find hard to digest. If it were a device which emitted a force field and kept others at a safe distance, that would be ideal. Perhaps if drivers think you have one fitted they would be more likely to play nice. Maybe even a prominent fake one with an attention getting LED might do the job.

I did buy a bike cam once, with a view to recording my more interesting rides. Fortunately it was quite cheap but there seems to be trade off between image quality and battery life. If you invest in a more up market one, you might get a better balance but to me at least, the potential benefit of recording the one in a million scrotes who might invade your space versus worrying about battery life, charging, vibration damage, how waterproof it might be, remembering to take it off when parked in case it gets nicked, and so on just spoiled the spontaneity of my ride.

If you have a commute that makes you feel like a WWII fighter pilot then the feeling of security it can give might well be worthwhile. Or you could just buy one of those signs that says "camera on board". You'll never forget to charge it, it will be waterproof, it has no electronics to go wrong, and unless it actually vibrates loose and falls off, it will keep on working. The main drawback is that the kind of inattentive driver who doesn't see you is also unlikely to see your sticker.

Perhaps for those more fond of gadgets than I am, a camera is worthwhile, but despite the advice of those who use them here, you will probably go through a few, becoming your own expert, before you find the ideal one for you. But beware, for some this sort of thing can be addictive, and before you know it you might become another Cycling Mikey!

Haha thx I deffo need one where I live only this morning I got cut off by 2 cars who turned in front of me after overtaking about 2inchs from my pedals I had to slam on I’m also going to get one of those signs they are a good deterrent.

I use a GoPro which is cheap and cheerful and not much of a loss if it is stolen or breaks. The fitting kit was shoddy so changed plastic bits with metal work that stabilised the camera.

Mike_P

Guru
Cheap GoPro? Old model presumably, I have one. Not used for a while and a pain with its loose removable covers for the battery and SD card which I was always thinking I would loose. One eventually broke and I had to get a third party replacement for it.

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

I decided to go with the garmin virb elite reviewed it on YouTube and some websites and it gets great reviews. Thank you all for your help 👍

Top Bottom