Cycling Safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brad61

Hello and greetings from Sydney, Australia. I work at The University of New South Wales and a group of academics here have started up a 12 month study to assess the safety of cycling across NSW. They're asking cyclists to sign up to a survey where they'll periodically enter data on cycling routes, dangerous intersections, any near misses/crashes etc. I'm curious to know if anything similar has been done in the UK, and if so, what the findings were. We've made a video about it if anyone's interested to have a brief peek at cycling in Sydney: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sO07_ZX0Nms

Keep safe,

Brad

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not sure if it is exactly the same thing but I have contributed to this website:
http://www.bristolstreets.co.uk/#tmbike/z14/mp/spfilter/y51.449380/x-2.594790

Don't know if it will open correctly but if not click on the bike survey and then anybody can enter comments and categorize them into broad groups: requested parking, requested lanes, hazard spots, good facilities, routes, and other comments.

I would say the hazard and requested categories get used the most. You are also able to comment on comments entered by other people to add information or photos. I have found it interesting seeing what has been entered over time. Some people raise things that I don't see as a problem - but it is to them, and it is always good to know that you aren't the only one suffering at a particular hazard. As far as I can tell some of the points have been actioned by the local council to make changes and occasionally one of the comments seems to be from the council explaining why they have made a particular change.

There is a slider at the bottom that allows you to adjust the time range of markers to be displayed which seems to show that the most users of either bikes or the site seem to live to the north of the city or that there are more problems there. (Probably a combination of those factors).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I forgot to say it is an interesting study ... what are you doing to recruit the people who would be less likely to sign up to a survey like this - as in the the above linked site I think it is dominated (my theory ... no proof), by a particular section of cyclists.

Top Bottom