Cycling Scotland/Pedal for Scotland.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
What has happened to this?
I know the final "PFS Classic" 50/100 mile rides from Glasgow to Edinburgh was held in 2019 (?), and that the proposal was that they were then going to hold more regional, but smaller rides throughout Scotland. Then came Covid lockdowns so there were no events in 2020. Then in 2021 there were a few, including such crowd pullers as a 7 mile trek round Ayr. Really.
The website has gone very quiet with regards to any cycling events at all for this year. Is it just being wound down quietly until they feel they can disappear?
It always seemed a strange decision to do away with the 50/100 mile rides from Glasgow to Edinburgh. I did it (50 mile ride) a few times, and although I wouldn't want to do it again, it did seem very popular with casual cyclists on the 50 miler, and the more enthusiastic on the 100 miler.

Slick

Guru
I did the last one in 2019, and was always disappointed in myself for taking the easy 50 mile option, as they were quite clear that it had outgrown its usefulness in terms of return as it was now so difficult to organise. Smaller regional rides was always going to be a cop out but if anyone could explain why, its @Pat "5mph" :okay:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Smaller regional rides was always going to be a cop out but if anyone could explain why, its @Pat "5mph" :okay:
It was the Glasgow version of Pedal on Parliament we met at, not Pedal for Scotland.
The two events can easily be mixed up, because lots of cyclists cycle to Edinburgh from Glasgow to attend Pedal on Parliament.
Pedal on Parliament (a free cycling advocacy event, organized by volunteers and fundraised via the sale of merchandise and from donations) itself is only about a mile, the Royal mile from the Meadows to the Scottish Parliament.
Pedal for Scotland classic is (or was) the 50 miler from Glasgow to Edinburgh, a sportive, I'm sure I paid about £40 to ride it, both times I did it.
From a quick look at their website Pedal for Scotland is now free to ride.
It's an expensive event to setup, between road closures and feed stations: this is probably why it hasn't resumed, they need to find the money.
@Brandane, I'm moving tis thread to sportives :smooch:

Slick

Guru
It was the Glasgow version of Pedal on Parliament we met at, not Pedal for Scotland.
The two events can easily be mixed up, because lots of cyclists cycle to Edinburgh from Glasgow to attend Pedal on Parliament.
Pedal on Parliament (a free cycling advocacy event, organized by volunteers and fundraised via the sale of merchandise and from donations) itself is only about a mile, the Royal mile from the Meadows to the Scottish Parliament.
Pedal for Scotland classic is (or was) the 50 miler from Glasgow to Edinburgh, a sportive, I'm sure I paid about £40 to ride it, both times I did it.
From a quick look at their website Pedal for Scotland is now free to ride.
It's an expensive event to setup, between road closures and feed stations: this is probably why it hasn't resumed, they need to find the money.
@Brandane, I'm moving tis thread to sportives :smooch:

Ah, so it was. I'm blaming the post Covid brain fog. :wacko:

Top Bottom