Cycling Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamie678

Regular
Hi all, I'm just looking for some advice on what shoes to wear. I don't have SPD clipless (think thats what they are called?? ) I have wellgo pedals with toe clips (standard ones that come with Giant Defy 3).

I would like to cycle in trail trainers like these:

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/x-tour.html

Im on a budget and these mean investing in only one pair of shoes that i can run and cycle in... Anyone cycle in this type of shoe (not that model just running trainers in general)?

vickster

Legendary Member
I've just got a pair of these for general use. They also worked very well on flat pedals on the bike the other day

http://www.sportsdirect.com/adidas-vanaka-trail-running-mens-213256

Can't fault for the cash

For running, get a proper running analysis to avoid knackering feet, knees, back etc

The ones you've linked look like they have too spongy and flexy a sole for cycling any distance. The adidas are nice and stiff. Don't know what they'd be like running on a treadmill though, I don't indulge in such silliness

OP
OP
J

jamie678

Regular
Ah ok thats a pain, how can you tell they are spongy? I find that if my trainers are too bulky then they rub on the pedal crank when in my toe clips

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To my, perhaps old-fashioned, way of thinking, a big benefit of toe-clips and straps, perhaps their only benefit even, is that you can wear whatever the hell shoes you like (up to a point). It's more comfy if they've got stiffish soles, and some strength on the toes so the straps aren't squashing your toes, and cleated soles can be tricky if you have to get a foot out quick - but apart from that .... Joking aside, I used to wear a favourite pair of leather office shoes - medium weigh brogues if I remember rightly - so they were reasonably stout construction, had smooth, stiffish soles, and were very comfy. Job's a good 'un.

andyfraser

Über Member
I wear Karrimor walking boots and shoes (there can't be many here who don't know this by now!). They're very comfortable to walk in and have a fairly stiff sole. They're no use for running but it wouldn't be a proper foorwear thread without me mentioning my walking boots yet again.

Mrs M

Guru
If you go with the Salomon make sure the sole isn't too slippy.
I have a pair of the speed cross 2 trail running shoes and they are deadly on wet ground.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to a shop, try some on, see how the sole flexes, you want minimal flex for cycling but you probably do for running. They are quite different disciplines. I bent lots of soles, nothing came close to the adidas for stiffness

Running shoes unless trail aren't good for cycling, cycling shoes not much good for running

Mrs M

Guru
Have you cycled in your speed cross trainers?

Yes, I bought them to use on a mountain bike with regular pedals.
The soles of the shoes go a bit "chewed" by the pedals.
Not the greatest and were pricey.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, I bought them to use on a mountain bike with regular pedals.
The soles of the shoes go a bit "chewed" by the pedals.
Sadly, there's no such thing as "regular pedals" any more. I guess you probably have platform pedals with pins on them, which is common on mountain bikes. Road bikes are more likely to have rat traps which will slice through the soles instead ;) (I think you can guess how I know :laugh: )

If you want to cycle in soft-soled shoes (it still won't be as good as in firm soles), then you probably need rubber or "commuter" pedals. A few will take toe clips but I forget which (sorry!).

OP
OP
J

jamie678

Regular
Is flexibility such a bad thing? The ones i use now are very flexible as they're road running shoes (all i have at the moment) and i dont find them that bad other than they are a bit too wide for the pedals, as i said they seem to rub on the crank when i pedal. Also been considering some astros

Klassikbike

Flexible soles can give pai n and cramps on slightly longer rides and you'll lose a tiny bit of pedalling output.
If you prefer riding with flats thats your choice and thats fine of course. Recommended by Mountainbikers are skater style shoes as these have grabby soles whilst being fairly stiff, see for example shoes from Five Ten or Vans... on the downside they are a bit heavy and probably therefore not that nice for longer rides on a touring or a roadbike.

Mrs M

Guru
How were they for flexibility? Were they comfortable ignoring the soles getting ruined that is?

They were pretty flexible but my feet got more uncomfortable the more I rode in them.
Changed to a road bike and clipped in with road shoes. Much better with the stiff soles, only downside is they are like walking in ice skates.
Would not go back to trainers though :smile:

Top Bottom