Cycling shoes.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray316

Über Member
l'm after some cycling shoes the MTB type so l can walk in them also, so places l could look up would be helpful and any tips and advice also as this will be the first time l will have used these shoes and cleats/pedals.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've just gone clipless...I have a pair of Specialized Tahoes with SPD cleats and Shimano pedals, pretty comfy although cyclists doing lots of miles (unlike me) seem to like a stiffer sole and are less fussed about walking :smile:

e-rider

crappy member
Shoes that are good for cycling tend to have a stiff sole, whereas cycling shoes aimed for touring (and some walking) have less stiff soles and are therefore not as good for cycling. Something to bear in mind! You need to think about how much walking you are going to do.

I really don't get on with touring shoes and like to go for pure cycling shoes (although they can be a pain to walk in). If you are only doing short 30 mile rides then you should be fine

Lee-p

Ive just bought some Shimano MO77 Shoes (£55),Shimano M520 pedals (£15) and Shimano Sm-Sh51 SPD cleats (£8) all bought new from Ebay.
The shoes are spot on to walk in.

OP
OP
R

ray316

Über Member
Shoes that are good for cycling tend to have a stiff sole, whereas cycling shoes aimed for touring (and some walking) have less stiff soles and are therefore not as good for cycling. Something to bear in mind! You need to think about how much walking you are going to do.

I really don't get on with touring shoes and like to go for pure cycling shoes (although they can be a pain to walk in). If you are only doing short 30 mile rides then you should be fine
Intended for leisure cycling rides between 15 to 20 miles , so l hope MTB Type will be ok as l would like to use them for walking when l get off the bike for a drink or if l get a flat :blush: and have to walk home :laugh: keep suggestions on types of shoes and places to look for them...Cheap as possible but good for comfort and cycling..

Alun

Guru
dhb shoes from Wiggle are well thought of and good value.
MTB shoes with SPD cleats are fine for road and MTB use, you should learn to fix p*nctures and save on walking. :biggrin:

Some road shoes look similar to mtb shoes, the difference being the tread on the sole and the type of cleats used. You wouldn't want to walk in road shoes.

rb58

Enigma
Sizing varies considerably between brands, so either go somewhere you can try them on, or if you order online make sure they have decent returns policy.

Davidc

Guru
I may have to go into hiding for this .....

When I first tried clipless I had Shimano shoes - which I subsequently sold with the pedals - which I didn't find very comfortable for either cycling or walking.

I'm now having to go back to clipless, at least for a few months, and I'm using Lidl cycling shoes - which I'm finding comfortable on the bike and acceptable for walking.

A drawback with using theirs is that they're only available a couple of weeks a year. The cycling kit weeks seem to be in April and October but usually get flagged up on thiis forum. An advantage is that they're surprisingly cheap and my original pair have been in regular use for nearly 2 years.

Rebel Ian

Nothing wrong with Lidl stuff. I've bought a few bits from there and for what you pay it is fantastic value.

marooned

Über Member
I also have a pair of Lidl cycling shoes. Their kit is quite good, jerseys, gloves, socks etc . You may find the shoes on Ebay as people list them as Crivit (Lidl's make).

Tyke

Lidl have had the cycling shoes in small numbers every few weeks over last few months just mixed in with the other stuff but not advertised but they don't last long so you need to be there at the right time.

Davidc

Guru
Lidl have had the cycling shoes in small numbers every few weeks over last few months just mixed in with the other stuff but not advertised but they don't last long so you need to be there at the right time.

They had some slightly different "MTB" shoes a couple of weeks ago which looked as if they were similar construction but with more chunky soles and lighter uppers. I'd have had a pair but there were sadly none in my size.

Willo

Tend to agree and, as per the other current clipless thread, I compromised by getting a mtb shoe with a rigid sole. Not brilliant for walking in but okay for commuting and when stopping off in shops etc. A colleague at work who is really into his road cycling was looking at my shoes last week and commented that they were virtually the same as road shoes but with the addition of little bit of tread meaning your not walking on the cleat. Problem was I found it took me ages to find a shoe that had the right balance and was a comfy fit (most brands, particularly Shimano were too narrow for my feet). As a result, I ended up forking out for a pair of Sidi Dominator 5 mtb shoes. Luckily I got them in a sale but were still over £100, but on reflection after having them for over a year I'm delighted with them and they have proved perfect for my needs.

Top Bottom