Cycling Utopia?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Long past time when we should have been doing this for years.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Yes, I've been there a couple of times and were I able I'd move there in a heartbeat - such a fantastic place and the equality present in the transport system feels very much indicitive of that present in wider society.. unlike here where it increasingly seems like everyone for themselves while our toff overlords screw us all and the country as a whole slips beneath the waterline :rolleyes:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I agree entirely. I did write a long piece on what a fantastic place my old could be given a few changes and sent it to every councillor at the local authority. Got a few lip service replies but nothing substantial sadly.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, I've been there a couple of times and were I able I'd move there in a heartbeat - such a fantastic place and the equality present in the transport system feels very much indicitive of that present in wider society.. unlike here where it increasingly seems like everyone for themselves while our toff overlords screw us all and the country as a whole slips beneath the waterline :rolleyes:
Do not worry: they have plenty of politicians who look enviously at the money some of our politicians make and push to reform the Netherlands government to be more British(!)

Slick

Guru
I cycled to Utrecht with Mrs Slick a couple of years ago and whilst most normal people were admiring the normal tourist attractions, I was agog at the sheer amount of people on bikes on amazing infrastructure and I think that was the first time I'd seen a multi story bike park in the town centre and that cracking underground bike park under the train station. Definitely need to do that again sometime.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
What you see in NL is the result of decades of work. There was war in the early years when car access was limited or restricted.

Population density helps a lot in terms of return on investment and practicality of using the bike for short trips.

The flip side is that cyclists are Policed just as well as drivers with regular controls and on the spot fines for no lights as an example.

The Political system too is more stable with less swinging from one side to another. Local government has a lot of power. Progress can be slow at times but it is consistent and thinking is relatively joined up.

The expression used to describe Dutch politics is "The Polder Model", basically governing by consensus and compromise. Rather than bash the opponent the focus is on promoting the advantages of "my" policy.
It may be slow and cumbersome at times but history proves that NL punches well above its weight in all kinds of areas.

The infrastructure that you see is just the tip of the iceberg of the process, so to speak

Top Bottom