Cycling vs Anti Depressant drugs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
a lot of good stuff being said by blonde, just read your post on page 2 and fully agree.i'm past the stage of caring what people think and have a couple of mates in two different clubs who both know where i'm at.
if someone asks me why i'm on the bike and not working i tell them, if they don't like it it's not my problem!
if people with depression went round with a bandage on their head others who don't understand it or just what it can do to you might be more understanding.
the only time problems arise is when they ask me if i want to go on long tours ,which i can't afford to do.

Hugo15

Über Member
Been lurking on this thread for the last few days. Had quite a stressful time over the last six months. Got promoted into doing a job that involved managing a team, 2 of whom were new to the company and the other two were new to their roles. I was trying to keep things going and get the team established. Just ended up working longer and longer hours and getting increasingly depressed. Got to the stage where I was struggling to get out of bed to go to work. After struggling on for months I finally admitted to myself that I could not continue like this and evaluated what I was doing. Although I felt I had been dealt a tough hand, people management isn't what motivates me, I am much happier being a spreadsheet jockey (and much better at it!). Fortunately my employer has been good and has let me change my role and has recruited someone to take on the management responsibilities. I ended up taking the management role as it is what I thought I should be doing rather than what I really wanted to do (I had doubts before accepting the role) - a big lesson leaned here.

Blonde's comments about not over stretching yourself as well also struck a chord. My mate persuaded me to enter a couple of sportives at the same time the stuff was going on at work. I originally wanted to do the middle distances (usually around 80 miles) but he persuaded me to enter the 115 miles ride on the White Rose Classic. This pushed me to a distance I had never been near before and resulted in my escape route from work starting to become a chore as I crammed in the training. I managed to complete the WRC and have a great sense of achievement for getting round, but I couldn't say that I enjoyed the ride and I didn't see much scenery as I stared at the tarmac 2 feet in front of my front wheel. Again another valuable lesson learned.

yello

Our ability to communicate and share culture is what makes us uniquely human!

You are very wise Blonde. I have found your posts extremely worthwhile.

I consider myself a near-on natural born loner but I cannot go too long without some form of social interaction. The mood suffers otherwise. Cycling has been brilliant for me. I get physical exercise (which, I think we all agree, helps the mood) AND social contact. I tend to select rides according to needs - CTC ride for social emphasis, audax for exercise. Broadly speaking anyway. I might ride an audax as a social event, depends how I feel on the day!

I would like to pick up on the 'square pegs round holes' comment too, because I think your environment plays a part in your overall well being. I genuinely believe that most humans cannot actually handle the roles that we have created for ourselves - or had created for us. It is my honest belief that most of us are not suited to 9 to 5, 5 days a week plus associated stresses. So I do think you have to be honest with yourself and decide what you really want and see whether you are in the right place to get that. It may call for some very brave decisions. Decisions which, if you are suffering from depression, are extremely difficult to follow through on. It's a tragic paradox that those that need to make the efforts are the ones that have the lesser strength.

I tend to find that cyclist always say hello to each other and are willing to chat to other cyclist and help them out if they are having problems on the road, in no other outdoor activity have I found that like in jogging/running etc etc or down the gym.

I don't know why that is but cyclist just seem to be more of a friendly bunch are more thoughtful and can have empathy with others?

When your out on the bike you have the freedom to take in more things than you ever will in a car or jogging if you spot another cyclist stoped you can chat away about bikes and routes all day if you like...when can you ever do that with a jogger or a car driver?

Yeah cyclist are alright I cant remember how many times I have met old guys/gals round the west cost of Scotland that have told me about rides and races with well known professional cyclists and races that are famous that have left me gob-smacked like story's about Robert Millar and the Flying Scotsman all because your into cycling it really is a gift and blessing to be a cyclist.

Cycling and cyclist don't care if you have problems they like you just the same because your into cycling thats what I have found and I have had my fair share of problems like everyone else.

radger

Veteran
I read this thread with interest, being another sufferer of depression. I was on fluoxetine for 4 years, but I took myself off it as the 'letterbox' effect was extreme - I was experiencing almost no emotions - and the GP practice I was registered at was a university one, so they were all very keen to prescribe as many drugs as you could swallow, but not to help address the causes.

I was helped to come off the pills by the fact that after graduating I had a series of jobs that were based outside and meant I was in the air all day; and then I went travelling for a year. In the three years since then, I have noticed my emotional state beginning to deteriorate again.

Whilst exercise has helped, it's got worse in the past 8 months due to work stress increasing, my yoga teacher leaving and a separate health problem meaning I can't swim. One thing that has helped, and this will sound really ridiculous, is taking the time to wash my face properly - the whole cleanse, tone, moisturise shenanigans. I suppose it helps because it's connecting with myself in a positive way, rather than in the more usual spiral of self-loathing and recrimination.

bagpuss

Guru
cycling vs anti drpressant drugs

I had my first major bout of the "Black dog" in 1998 , my love of cycling was my light at the end of the tunnel . During 1999 I got back on my bike and got my self fit enough to ride the AUK 2000 events . It used it as a goal .Since then I have been bit by the black dog again . Again I used cycling as my light , and went touring in Austria ....what a fix that was . I am off the pills at the moment . I still ride every weekend {60/70 miles}and I 'am looking for a new target . Cycling does lift your mood , no need to bust a gut . Remember clinical depression will take up all your energy . I could sleep for 12/14 hours a day . So start off steady and set your self a target . I posted a topic else where on the forum about relighting the fire . Yes I need something to aim at ,before I get bit again .
Ps. Be kind to yourself .

Top Bottom