cycling with a cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I've got a 100 mile sportive coming up next weekend. I've already had a week off the bike to try and get over my cold but decided to go out today for a short ride. Had to quit after 20 miles as I felt terrible.

Is cycling with a cold a bad idea? I generally avoid it but with the event coming up fast I need to do some more training; but I also need to be well for the ride next weekend. I've raised lots of money for charity so feel that I MUST do the ride (or at least start it).

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Cold is OK if you wrap up warm and take on board plenty of water.
Flu type symptoms (aching limbs etc) is a definite NO to getting on your bike.

As a sub-story, I woke up on the last day of my ski-ing holiday this year with aching limbs, feeling well under the weather. Unfortunately it had snowed the previous day, and the clouds were clearing for a glorious sunny day. So I decided that I'd go ski-ing anyway. Boy I suffered for it, but I still think I made the right decision.

BSRU

A Human Being
Depends on your definition of a cold.
I have had a "cold" for a couple of weeks now, almost gone, has not stopped me riding but on the worst days I still manage my normal distance just at a reduced average speed. As long as I have a good appetite and I am getting enough quality sleep then I am fine to continue cycling.

PK99

Legendary Member
I've got a 100 mile sportive coming up next weekend. I've already had a week off the bike to try and get over my cold but decided to go out today for a short ride. Had to quit after 20 miles as I felt terrible.

Is cycling with a cold a bad idea? I generally avoid it but with the event coming up fast I need to do some more training; but I also need to be well for the ride next weekend. I've raised lots of money for charity so feel that I MUST do the ride (or at least start it).

rule of thumb:
Above the neck ie head cold only = ride
below the neck ie chest infection or general malaise = don't ride

Norm

rule of thumb:
Above the neck ie head cold only = ride
below the neck ie chest infection or general malaise = don't ride
+1 to this, although I had sinusitis with very cold-like symptoms (i.e. nearly all in the head) for about 3 months earlier this year, which floored me completely.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm glad I found this thread; I've not cycled as much as I hoped I would this year and now that I have a cold my drive to get out and ride hasn't diminished. Although now this is a chest cold and I remember what happened when I went out for a gentle twenty when I felt like this and it totally destroyed my chest.

Patience needed.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
It's very much below the neck. It's a bit of a shame I don't have any vocals to record at the moment.

Top Bottom