Cyclist are getting bad press today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boybiker

Guru
http://www.itv.com/News/Articles/Move-because-Im-not-stopping-873704741.html

Move-because-Im-not-stopping-412265cf-2b85-4814-90a7-c7d734b49bec.jpg
'Move because I'm not stopping'

Published: Wednesday, 9 July 2008, 11:23AM

A cyclist who ploughed into a young pedestrian after shouting 'move because I'm not stopping' has been handed a "laughable fine" after she died.
The family of 17-year-old Rhiannon Bennett insisted Jason Howard should have been tried for manslaughter.

Howard, 36, was fined £2,200 after he was found guilty of dangerous cycling, £300 less than the maximum.

Rhiannon was struck by Howard when she walked with friends in Buckingham last year after he shouted: "Move because I'm not stopping." She hit her head on the pavement and died of her injuries.

Speaking outside court, her father, Mick Bennett, said Howard was an "arrogant and vile little man" who should have faced manslaughter charges and been jailed for several years.

He said: "It's laughable - when we first heard about this we thought it would be manslaughter, or perhaps even murder, but this is Britain."

Her mother Maureen said "words cannot express" how upset the family is.
Aylesbury Magistrates Court heard that he could have swerved to avoid the girl but told police he thought a shout would be enough to avoid the collision.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The BBC tv version wasn't especially flattering either. Yet another set of complaints to point of view within a month won't go very far. It's a very sad case and should be reported as such rather than bits of propaganda.

Blue

Legendary Member
If the report is accurate a custodial sentence would seem more appropriate. However, there isn't enough detail to be definitive. My sympathies are with the parents. A very sad case, like all needless road deaths.

Halloway

I think most people can distinguish between a single arrogant dickhead and the general mass of rather more sensible cyclists.

Top Bottom