Cyclist escapes prosecution after fatal collision with pensioner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I’d suggest complaining to IPSO

https://www.ipso.co.uk/complain/

I was going to reply "on what grounds?" But I've answered my own question. It's clause 1 of the Editor's Code "Accuracy"
https://www.ipso.co.uk/editors-code-of-practice/

Alex321

Veteran
personally I would think that riding on a shared cycleway at 40 at any time is idiotic and irresponsible

True, but irrelevant.

Why are people talking about speeds that hardly anybody even CAN achieve, never mind ones which occurred in this case?

I'm not sure anybody else has mentioned 40, and according to the report, the seed here as between 25 and 29.

[EDIT}
I was reading through the thread in order, and that comment was before seeing the supposed 52mph reported in the Telegraph.

and part of the reason why the general public seem to be against cyclists in general - if we as a whole want to be accepted on roads , cycle paths etc then we should show a modicum of common sense , if you want to travel at high speed then use a road !just my opinion

A perfectly reasonable opinion, which I generally share.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Yes there's definitely something very fishy/odd here. All but 2 of the Rides in the top 10 on that segment follow exactly the same 24.7 km route starting on the Mall and finishing at Trafalgar Square. Is it some kind of 25km event?
View attachment 731174

Are these real, in the flesh rides or some kind of Zwifty thing maybe.

They won't be Zwift, but they could well have been a closed road Criterium race, with a sprint there.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
There's maybe a metre of verge to trees either side. It's packed with people walking and cycling at peak times, so is it where I can expect to come into conflict with pedestrians? Yet off-peak, you could do 40 along there and the biggest danger would normally be the cobbled hump
Was just commenting on an earlier post
Personally I very rarely go above 30 , I think the fastest I have been was accidentally starting to come down roseland where it was a very long very straight and very very smooth and I just thought ‘ I wonder what happens if I just freewheel - I will tell you what happens - I shet myself ! If anything had walked out in front then I think it would have been curtains for someone/thing
God knows how the professionals do it going a lot faster
In my eyes it was stupid but I was only going to hurt myself as there was a drop one side and a mountain the other and I could see a very long way in front , there was very very little chance of a dog walker , old lady or mother and pram crossing my path in a daily routine
I won’t do it again cos I basically don’t want to and I don’t break speed limits on road cos I don’t want to , it’s a speed limit to go below for safety reasons so fair enough , if I was to pass a school at 20 and another cyclist passes me at 50% more than my speed shouting ‘ this speed limit doesn’t apply to me ‘ I wouldn’t say a thing - but would think what a self centred knob
But I think I’ve said enough to give an opinion and don’t think I will say anymore on this one , it’s ran its course
I think it has divided some of us into stupid cyclist group or stupid woman group and that’s what it comes down to
- I know who I would blame if I had to judge

Top Bottom