Cyclist jailed for pavement death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

User said:
Hmmm.... It appears that I was wrong. The Powers of Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000 (c. 6) came into force in 2004. This allows a driving ban to be applied in relation to any criminal offence.

If that's the case, then that is blatantly unfair - it really does mean you can get a driving ban for shoplifting if it is so...

PK99

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
If that's the case, then that is blatantly unfair - it really does mean you can get a driving ban for shoplifting if it is so...

IIRC, the argument at the time was that driving is a privilege of modern society, if i breach the rules of society than my losing that privilege for a while is a reasonable punishment - and in some cases a better punishment than a fine.

thomas

the tank engine
wafflycat said:

PK99 said:
IIRC, the argument at the time was that driving is a privilege of modern society, if i breach the rules of society than my losing that privilege for a while is a reasonable punishment - and in some cases a better punishment than a fine.

Driving is a privilege but justice needs to be equally distributed. If me and wafflycat both hypothetically go shoplifting and get a years driving ban as punishment it would not be equal.

Assuming wafflycat uses her car it may inconvenience her, where as though I have a full licence I probably won't be insured on a car for at least another year, maybe another 2/3 when I finish UNI.

Therefore the ban wouldn't bother me.

If driving is a privilege they should start taking away licences from people who commit (proper) motoring offences, rather than have the ability to take them away from people who haven't committed a motoring related crime.

I have no problem with this cyclist going to prison for killing the man. He was obviously not travelling appropriately for the conditions and for when on a pavement.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
PK99 said:

I vaguely remember it. IIRC the argument at the time was for taking it off people like drug dealers or people using cars directly for serious crime on a regular basis.

PK99

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
I vaguely remember it. IIRC the argument at the time was for taking it off people like drug dealers or people using cars directly for serious crime on a regular basis.

That strikes a chord

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I was going to make a point about how he should have been charged with the furious cycling rule, but like User says, it seems like there never was one. It always was wanton and furious driving. Ah well, that was my rant about the judiciary too flexibly re-interpreting old law or, in effect, making up new law over.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm surprised, Yellow Fang, that you're not telling us it was all the 84 year olf pedestrian's fault, and that he should have rolled himself up in to a ball.......

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
would have survived if he had.

stoptherock

If no collision actually took place and the elderly party was startled and fell and tragically died....

Suppose a driver on a mobile fails to notice a pedestrian on a zebra crossing, slams the brakes on and screeches to a halt, the alarmed pedestrian falls, bangs his head and later dies.

Should the driver get seven months?

Top Bottom