Cyclists at Zebra Crossing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Horse's Mouth

Proud to be an Inverted snob!
Coming up to a zebra crossing on Cable Street CS3 this morning, two cyclists right in front of me young schoolgirl crossing the zebra first bike stopped correctly. Second bike however overtook first cyclist despite the fact schoolgirl was now just in front of first bike and went through zebra.

I overtook first cyclist a bit further down and we had a mutual shake of heads. Second cyclist wasnt going that quick so I caught in up and was greeted by a blank look when i asked if he had seen the girl on the crossing. However, did notice that he didnt overtake me further down when i stopped at red light.

Being the only cyclist at my work I have to listen to at least one RLJ story a day and this sort of cycling doesnt help me when i tried to defend cyclists.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
no it's not good is it and does lead to us all being tarred with the same brush.
And I can bet you bottom dollar that the idiot will do it again. They don't usually listen to reason.

Jonno Boy

Regular
I don't know much about London (I presume that's where Cable Street CS3 is). Sometimes though, it's pretty busy although I'm hardly ever there being a "Northerner".

Sometimes, there is the risk of getting sideswiped by a car if one keeps to the rules (even without sneaking up on the left, with vehicles pulling up on the right to overtake). Just because it's the law doesn't mean that it's the safest option - I treat every case on a case-by case basis and sometimes the best option, in terms of my safety when cycling, is to pull up just over the line or treat it as a give way. What I don't want is unnecessary conflict but equally I am NOT prepared to accept additional risk just because it's the law or because it might slow someone else down.

Ashaman42

Über Member
Yebbut, I think even on a case by case basis you'd stop when someone is actually crossing the zebra crossing, surely?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I stop for people on zebra crossings but sometimes they want me to go - probably about 5 or 10 % of the time, same at pedestrian crossing lights. Though by the time I've stopped I may as well wait. Having been a pedestrian on zebra's that cars have ignored I like to stop and be in the way of any car so that they have to stop anyway.

Top Bottom