Cyclo cross bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

emraven

Hi,

I am a pretty serious runner but also love biking - currently I only have a (slightly old) chunky mountian bike and looking to buy a new bike. My issue is what type to go for - hybrid, road, or these cyclo cross one and I would love some advice from people who know lots.

My requirements:

Surfaces: mainly road but also some railway line cycle paths - loads around us and far safer than the roads (but I am not sure road bike tyres will be suitable).

Speed: My husband has a road bike and I would like to go out with him....but obviously need a bike that can keep up with a racer.

Use: other than biking with my husband, I plan to use my new bike to cycle to work and possibly for the odd (novice) Duathlon.

So I guess some of my questions are: (1) can you put slightly chunkier tyres on a racer...for railway paths/winter? (2) what are these cyclocross bikes all about - they seem to have the racer style frame and the chunkier tyres which would be ideal....can you then also swap back to thinner tyres for doing a duathlon for example?

Oh and budget: £500 - but plan to use cyle-to-work scheme so can possibly stretch to £600.

Thanks in advance for any help - I will of course go to a proper bike shop but it would be useful to have a bit of knowledge in advance!

Emma

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Cycle cross bikes imo are not that far removed from road specific.
Ok they will be equipped with wheels to take /28 or /32 tyres and have defined 'tread'.
The v brakes will have loads of clearance so that mud does not get clogged so easy.
frame geometry.... well not too different.. less aggressive.
But good cycle crossers will have excellent spec... Ultegra and lend themselves to being ridden on the road no problem whatsover.

Try and then buy...... and then buy another wheelset mavic kryseriums to get the edge back on the road to keep up

I does like this tho'.............
amazonx.jpg

sorry your budget blown to pieces

Norm

Hey, Em, welcome to CC

I've had similar considerations. I've bought a "racer" which is fantastic on the road but I wouldn't expect to last very long even on gravel. There is also, on most of them, not enough clearance to fit chunkier tyres that you are looking for.

I also have a hard-tail MTB, which is great off road but heavy and slower on the road. It's great on tow paths and disused railways, though, fantastic fun and I know it's built to cope with more than I'll ever throw at it.

However, what about those days when you think you want to head off for a trek but you might also want to take a short cut on a bridle path, or if you only have one bike. That is where the cyclocross stuff comes in. Stronger build with sturdier components, (wheels etc) and a more forgiving frame, they can also make the basis for good touring bikes. You can fit thinner tyres, but the other components are built to handle more rough stuff so they still won't be as quick on the road. The difference could be pretty marginal, though.

I'm looking at the Specialized Tri-Cross. To emphasise the multi-purpose aspects of these bikes, Spesh don't have a tourer in their line up, as they think the Tri-Cross fills that gap as well. I haven't tried one yet, my LBS has one built up for me but I haven't had a chance to take it out. I think the Tri-Cross fits neatly into your cycle-to-work budget and would make an excellent commuter.

Another alternative might be to look at an off-road biased hybrid. The term "hybrid" is a bit to broad, as they can be everything from MTB's with road tyres (chunky frames with disc brakes and possibly front suspension) to road bikes with race geometry, light frames and components and flat bars. If you look at a "hybrid" which is more towards the converted MTB than the converted road bike, you might find something decent too.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
A 'hybrid' is going to make life hard keeping up with a road gang. Big full stop.
if you are going to do duathlons etc then have a gander at an event... you will not see many flat barred bikes taking part.

Norm

I am Spartacus said:
A 'hybrid' is going to make life hard keeping up with a road gang. Big full stop.
if you are going to do duathlons etc then have a gander at an event... you will not see many flat barred bikes taking part.
Good point, sorry, I'd forgotten that part of the OP.

gouldina

Hi emraven. I bought a cyclo-cross bike in early Jan for commuting purposes as an upgrade for my old commuter hybrid. I've put slick puncture resistant 32 tyres on instead of the chunky but flimsy ones that came with it. Like you I ride on roads but also off - on a canal for example. My findings so far are that it's considerably quicker than the hybrid but less maneuverable with the drop bars and riding position. For example, on the canal there's a section where they had alternating bar things to slow cyclists which I could whizz through on the hybrid but now can't. Similarly, ringing the bell at blind tunnels on the canal is a chore because it can't be mounted close to where your hands are likely to be. Other than those minor gripes though, I'm loving it.

OP
OP
E

emraven

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice! THe cyclo cross def seems to be the best on paper.....best get down to a bike shop and test one out!

Emma

bauldbairn

emraven said:
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice! THe cyclo cross def seems to be the best on paper.....best get down to a bike shop and test one out!

Emma

Welcome to the CC Forum Emma. :biggrin:

Also worth a look are the Revolution Cross(£350) and Revolution Explorer(£500) from Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative - RC has £100 off / RE has £150 off - in the January sale.

Top Bottom