Cyclo-cross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vidor06

Long term loafer
As a relative newcomer who is currently commuting every day on a Felt mtb should I buy a cyclocross bike to make my commute speedier?

i have been looking at hybrids but not sure they are 'quick' enough.

I commute 6 miles a day, 5 days a week and usually ride about 20-30 miles at the weekend, regardless of conditions.

l4dva

Guru
Why not just get a road bike... or is ur commute across rough ground that would require minor off roading abilty?

you'll always have your mtb for the major off road stuff and then ur road bike for the speedy commutes

but saying that i have a cross bike at the moment and i love it. suppose just try em both out see what u prefer and go for it

Willo

As someone who's just converted to a road bike, after using an old mountain bike with road tyres for a few years, I had my worries about feeling less secure etc. but have actually found the opposite to be true. I find I'm much more stable and controlled on the bike. Hard to explain, but the efficiency of the bike seems to enable me to keep in a straight body position when putting in the effort going up-hills etc. which means I'm not wobbling about so much as I used to find on my previous bike. As a result, I feel more in control and able to react that little bit quicker.

Saying that, I quite fancy a cyclo-cross as my next bike for winter riding and for taking to France on hols for riding off-road on cycle paths etc.

l4dva

Guru
That was the very reason i went for a cyclocross bike, i was worried about the safety of the thinner tyres..... turns out the more i rode it, the more faster I wanted to go and the more I caught the bug, led me to upgrade the tyres to some proper thin road slicks I absolutly love it! Never once felt unsafe infact prob have more grip now that i did with the cross tyres that came with it.

Top Bottom