Cyclocross Bike - changing to front fork with eyelets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GatleyJim

Über Member
Hi,

For the last four years, I have commuted/toured using a Kona Jake cyclocross bike. It's not the prettiest thing in the world and I did originally want a classic-looking tourer but my choice of bike was constrained by my height (6' 7"). I therefore plumped for the 62cm framed Kona Jake and added guards and a rack.

Last year we had our first little baby. He is lovely. Now, twice a week, I add a baby seat and the little man to the rack and use a rucksack to carry my gear to the nursery before dropping junior off and heading on to work with my rucksack in the baby seat. It works ok but is far from ideal. What I would really like is a front rack for my work gear. This would also be of use when we go on family bike rides or even for more adventurous touring holidays (should I ever have the chance again).

I originally thought I would be best off simply buying myself a new touring bike. However, the selection isn't great in my price range, I don't have much cash and also I have made quite a lot of adjustments to my Jake so that it now suits me quite well.

So I am wondering if I can simply switch the front fork and purchase a front rack. I would much prefer this solution but I am struggling to find a suitable fork. I am not interested in a high-end fork, just something that has eyelets and, preferably, no logos.

I thought I had found the perfect solution at SJS Cycles (http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/700c-1-i...fork-240-mm-threaded-steerer-black-prod13036/) but this is a 1" fork and I need a 1 1/8" one.

So, does anybody have any advice? Firstly, does this sound like a sensible thing to do? If it is, does anybody know where I can look for one? Are there any other characteristics of the fork/my set up I need to consider?

Thanks in advance,

James.

jiberjaber

Veteran
I think that's the same size as a Genesis CdF fork? £100 for the carbon one with front lowrider mounts and mudguard. Disc version however.

http://shop.18bikes.co.uk/m14b2s543...B9gIIUCR98ytlOBXzwSTdHx7BqICChrbNwaAooU8P8HAQ

Bodhbh

Guru
It is also threaded, and you want threadless. For canti brakes and rack mounts, you want something like a Surly Long haul trucker fork

I think Triton cycles do these for about 60 quid (tho they have a terrible habit of being the cheapest for odd bits but never having anything in stock). All the braze ons you will ever need and the logos steam off pretty easy if you don't like them.

Other option is to use a rack that doesn't need attachment mounts, like the Old Man Mountain racks and lowriders. They attach at the bottom via an axle mount, and are held firm up the forks either via the canti mounts or p-clips. Very solid.

OP
OP
G

GatleyJim

Über Member
Thanks for all the advice.

I think I'll go for the Surly ones and steam off the logos. That looks like the best bet to me.

Cheers,

James.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I had the same dilemma. I had decided to get my old steel forks brazed and painted. However, some one suggested limpet style front panniers.

They fit to your forks and a loop that attaches to the dropouts. I found them very good with a nice low centre of gravity.

Top Bottom