DAB radio interference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I need help!

Our Pure Evoke H4 DAB radio is situated in the kitchen, beneath the boiler. When the boiler kicks in there is an explosion of white noise and interference.

The radio is plugged into the mains.

What is causing the interference?

Am I better off buying a battery for the radio?

We can’t really site it elsewhere.

Thank you!

sheddy

Legendary Member
Unshielded boiler components generating EMI ?

I guess its the boiler ignition - shouldn't last for long

presta

Guru
Trying batteries is a good place to start, because it'll sort out whether it's radiated or mains borne. If it's on the mains, and you don't want to use batteries, you could try some of these on the mains leads. Start with the boiler first, and put them as close to the boiler end of the lead as you can get them, if that's not enough then put some on the radio lead as well, again as close to the radio end as they'll go.

If it's radiated interference your options are a bit limited, moving the radio further away being the simplest. Does the radio have a connector for an external antenna that you could use? There are flaws that make receivers susceptible to interference, but fixing them is more about radio design than DIY measures. At the other end, there are measures like filtering and screening that might reduce the EMI from the boiler, but as you're not allowed to go in there, that's off the agenda too. Does changing channel on the radio help?

My kitchen TV lives under the boiler, and that has occasional problems too, but as they don't affect the channels I use, I've never bothered chasing down the cause.

The DAB experts may redefine your interferences as " Not A Problem". I set my Roberts DAB to a setting called FM , then DAB works quite well.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Chances are there’s a bit of sparking going on in the relay in your boiler. This will generate a burst of wide spectrum RF noise that will interfere with your relatively weak wanted radio signals. If you have a battery powered FM or better an AM radio try tuning it between stations and listening for the burst when your boiler fires. It will also eliminate mains borne interference which is already unlikely.

Has it only started recently and/or is it getting worse over time? Are you able to remove the relay or gain access to the contacts? Sometimes giving them a clean with some emery paper will reduce the spark and hence the interference. Usual precautions apply…

Less likely to work, but worth a try if the above is too difficult, is to see if your radio has an external aerial socket. If so you may be able to run a coax lead and site the aerial away from the boiler. Temporarily moving the set with the existing (telescopic?) aerial will give you an idea of how far away it needs to be to work reliably.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Put the radio in a aluminium foil lined box.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Chances are there’s a bit of sparking going on in the relay in your boiler.
Most boilers have a spark ignition system which will make far bigger sparks than any coming from a relay.

High voltage is applied across electrodes above the pilot gas jet, resulting in a series of sparks. As soon as the gas from the pilot jet ignites the sparks stop because the flame is ionised and and electric current can flow through it. This proves that the pilot flame is burning and acts as the signal to the boiler control to open the main gas valve.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Most boilers have a spark ignition system which will make far bigger sparks than any coming from a relay.

High voltage is applied across electrodes above the pilot gas jet, resulting in a series of sparks. As soon as the gas from the pilot jet ignites the sparks stop because the flame is ionised and and electric current can flow through it. This proves that the pilot flame is burning and acts as the signal to the boiler control to open the main gas valve.

Yes. It’s usually the relay or contactor that powers the gas valve solenoid that arcs causing this sort of interference, not the pilot igniter.

Top Bottom