Dalby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pauldavid

Veteran
Hello all,

Can someone give me a little advice please.

Is is possible/advisable to ride the red route at Dalby on hardtail mtb's?

I went to Dalby with my son at the weekend as he wants to try a little mtb riding on trails. We did the blue route in the pouring rain and both loved it (I've never done any off road riding either before this) and he now wants to go back for the full day to do the red route.

The reason for my question is that everyone we saw there seemed to be on high end full suspension bikes and I am worried that our hardtails may not be up to the job.

Our current bikes are a Btwin Rockrider 5.3 (me) and a Trek 3500 (the lad)

Hoping that someone can tell me if we take our time and watch what we're doing we'll be fine before I promise hime we can go back!

You'll be fine - 3 of us did the Red on 3 different hardtails a few weeks back, and a friend has done it on a rigid single speed lol

RedRider

Pulling through
Yes, we hired hardtails for my mate's stag do a couple of years ago and did the red route. It was fine. We did get into trouble later that night but it had nothing to do with bikes and everything to do with alcohol.

Whats it like in the rain BTW I fancy getting up there myself in next few days but its predicted rain..... I dont mind rain but some routes can be a little blathery?

OP
OP
P

pauldavid

Veteran
If your going in the rain, I'd take a change of clothes.

We didn't and we were in such a mess I had to create makeshift seat covers from the dust sheets I normally use for the bikes when they are in my boot.

Good fun though.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hardtails are fine. There are a few steps but they aren't very big. The trail is reasonably waterproof, but does get a bit blashy in places. A tip. There are some boring bits on the full red, especially around the North East side of the loop. Start at Dixons Hollow on the red to where the green crosses at post 18 on the map and go due East on the green to meet the Red as it goes south against the Eastern edge. Or even go straight to Marker 25 on the forest drive and fire roads. Ride the loop back to Dixons, the best bits are in that Southern zig zag and the route back to Dixons from the Visitor Centre. The full red is very long,some of the raised causeway trail from markers 22 to 24 is dull and uncomfortable, and you'll have more time to ride the four cross, dirt jumps and pump track at Dixons that way.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/eng-dalby-mtb-map.pdf/$FILE/eng-dalby-mtb-map.pdf

Hardtails are fine. There are a few steps but they aren't very big. The trail is reasonably waterproof, but does get a bit blashy in places. A tip. There are some boring bits on the full red, especially around the North East side of the loop. Start at Dixons Hollow on the red to where the green crosses at post 18 on the map and go due East on the green to meet the Red as it goes south against the Eastern edge. Or even go straight to Marker 25 on the forest drive and fire roads. Ride the loop back to Dixons, the best bits are in that Southern zig zag and the route back to Dixons from the Visitor Centre. The full red is very long,some of the raised causeway trail from markers 22 to 24 is dull and uncomfortable, and you'll have more time to ride the four cross, dirt jumps and pump track at Dixons that way.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/eng-dalby-mtb-map.pdf/$FILE/eng-dalby-mtb-map.pdf

The southern zigzag is exactly what I missed last time, didnt see the #27 marker but did see this big downhill so set off down it at full pelt, with my friends screaming at me to stop but I was away and didnt hear them lol

Top Bottom