Dangerous overtake reported

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I agree entirely with the strategy you describe, plus, if I'm going to have to take primary for a while after the traffic lights, I don't filter to the front.

The problem on this particular stretch is that once you have taken primary position, then because of traffic islands, pavements sticking out into the road and on-road car parking, you end up in primary position for what seems quite a while, though is only about 40 seconds in practice (checked on my video clips), with nowhere to move over and let motor vehicles overtake. They get impatient and start to overtake dangerously, even if you are in primary position, doing things like passing wide then cutting you up at the islands. This is bad driving, exacerbated by bad road design.

Avoid it then?

route avoiding Market Street

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Hm, thanks for the suggestion. It's rather tortuous and looks a bit rough in places on Street Level, but I might give it a go.

I did used to use back roads like that further in towards Salford until I heard that cyclists were getting stopped at knifepoint and having their bikes taken from them, then I shifted back to the main roads. However, Farnworth might be a bit better.

Top Bottom