Dangers while touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
dragon72 said:
In thousands of kms ridden in France/Italy, the only times I have ever had vehicles pass too close, it's been by campervans with UK licence plates.

I've probably only covered hundreds of miles in France, but agree about the driving - all the close passes turn out to be GB cars.

And it's not just the roads that are a joy, it's the general attitude - people waving as you pass by, treating you like a hero instead of an outcast...

Arch said:
I've probably only covered hundreds of miles in France, but agree about the driving - all the close passes turn out to be GB cars.
Which is odd, seeing as they'll have steering on the right: you might have thought they'd be able to judge the gap between them and the cyclist they're overtaking, better...

In 'my' part of France, there are plenty of Brits, but they're mostly expats with local-registered cars, so you can't tell who they are (unless they stop and yell at you of course). Don't have any problems though.

When I hire a car down there it comes with a non-local number plate (usually 76: the local codes are 47 and 82). So the local drivers have me marked down as an étranger...

wafflycat

Have cycled in various bits of France including Paris in the rush hour. France is a joy to cycle in. Driving in the Parisian rush hour is hell. Cycling the Parisian rush hour was a doddle. Plus, even if your spoken French is poor, make an effort to try and you will be rewarded with loads of friendly help from the vast majority of the natives IME.

In Italy, not as pleasant as in France - too many close passes by traffic. Italian drivers are generally appalling IME. Holiday in Italy was the one foreign holiday I've had where I was truly glad to be back home with no intention of going back to said forn parts. It was just a bad holiday. Met some lovely people but the minority of nasties was big enough of a minority to spoil the holiday.

In Germany - lovely cycling, lovely people.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
661-Pete said:
Which is odd, seeing as they'll have steering on the right: you might have thought they'd be able to judge the gap between them and the cyclist they're overtaking, better...

They can, and that's the problem. They can see to miss you by an inch. :biggrin:

Genuinely, I've toured France, Belgium, Holland, Germany (a little bit) and Austria. Never had a problem. It's not in the slightest bit dangerous. The worst thing that's happenned is that a place I hoped to get lunch was closed, and I had to go on to the next place. Oh, and once someone nicked my bungees :rolleyes: and I had to tie a bag on me rack with some old rope.
Do it. Just do it. And you might not want to come back... :biggrin:

OP
OP
C

ch3

All these sound very relieving. I really appreciate your help guys.
In a way spending time reading this forum, makes me very enthusiastic about what I am about to do.
=]

wafflycat said:
Plus, even if your spoken French is poor, make an effort to try and you will be rewarded with loads of friendly help from the vast majority of the natives IME.

I definitely know what you mean. I used to be able to speak French, but I've forgotten most of them since I am not using them. I hope they will all come back to me again.

Ariadne

Oh, I'm jealous! I spent 6 months cycling round Europe last year - in Italy, Greece, France, Germany and Belgium. France was by far the best - the roads are generally quiet and the drivers give you loads of room. Italy - a bit hairy, they do drive like loons, but at the same time people seem to be paying attention, because everyone else is driving like a loon! There's less of the dozy-british-driver that doesn't see you: they have to look out for bikes and scooters from every angle. Greece - hairy in the busy bits, with big lorries and buses coming past really close, but we survived a month there without incident. Once you're out of the busy areas it's bliss. If somewhat hilly! Germany - oddly, a bit of a pain. there are cycle paths, but they don't always go where you want, and drivers shout at you if you don't use them. And for some reason we found it really hard to buy food - lots of little towns appeared to have no food shops, and those that did, had a Lidl. Lidl is all very well if you go looking for bargains, but when you just need to buy some lunch and some toothpaste, it's a bit dire. Belgium - lovely cycle paths, but, em, dull. Flat. Windy. Shite food. Otherwise, fine :-) Go! Go! You'll have a magic time!

Arch

Married to Night Train
661-Pete said:

In 'my' part of France, there are plenty of Brits, but they're mostly expats with local-registered cars, so you can't tell who they are (unless they stop and yell at you of course). Don't have any problems though.

Oh, they can see you fine, just like they can see you fine in Britain, they just don't have a clue about how much distance to leave.

I'd imagine anyone who'd gone native with a local car, would have assimilated the right sort of attitude.

ch3 - definitely give the language a go, it'll come back to you. After two or three trips to France in recent years, I'm getting more confident - mostly with stuff I've picked up while there, rather than remembering my CSE French from school. I probably sound hilarious, but having a go is generally appreciated, and between you, you muddle through...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Mort said:
How on earth did you manage to find shite food in Belgium? :sad:

And if you think it's flat, you ain't been to the Ardennes! :wacko:

My Mum had her first ever Kir in Belgium, quite an extravangance for her, a very rare drinker.

Mmm, pate....

parnes

In The Pyrenees there was a gang of adolescent goats blocking the road and bleating at me.

I don't know anything about goats, I thought they might gang up on me, so I shooed them away and they stared after me in an UNSETTLING manner.

OP
OP
C

ch3

Yesterday I cycled about 30km around Salisbury to go visit the Sculpture park in Winterslow. Going there, I took the smallest roads I saw on the map which they were almost empty of traffic and very beautiful. On the way back I took the A30 to save some time and I did realize how much different it is to cycle on a busy road in the country side.
Even if they were passing me with a good enough distance, it was a little bit annoying seeing them going that fast next to me. So I assume the smaller the road the better.
that's the route
http://veloroutes.org/bikemaps/?route=35983

and these are some photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64123743@N00/sets/72157621545605364/

Ariadne

Uncle Mort said:
How on earth did you manage to find shite food in Belgium? :ohmy:

And if you think it's flat, you ain't been to the Ardennes! xx(

Where did you find good food? Seriously, we had two weeks there and practiclly everything we had was appalling. Even the chips were often bad! and croquettes are vile, and the fish was always in rock solid batter and ... really, it was pretty depressing! But we had good food in bruges, I'll say that - our last stop off before coming home.

Top Bottom