'Dark Peak Sportive'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone seen this new event in support of Wakefield Hospice??

http://www.wakefieldhospice.org/Events/The-Wakefield-Hospice-Sportive-The-Dark-Peak

Whilst agreeing with the fund-raising aims of the Hospice, I can't help but think that there'll be a lot of sore/weary supporters on that day.

Just like the 'Hospice 10k' that takes place every April (which I too am one of the regular runners, PB =42:38) that some will enter the 'Extreme' route out of support, won't they??

They'll be facing HolmeMoss, the road to Glossop, Snake Pass, & the Strines (the worst way; south - north)

Could it just be me, or given the routes, could the Hospice need a very big Broom Wagon for the unprepared/'Mr&Mrs average'???

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I looked at it - but it's quite expensive.

The route is basically what I've been doing some Saturday mornings. It's quite busy up Snake Pass anyway, so I go quite early in the morning.

Also, I'd agree that the Extreme route will be tough. Yes, I do it regularly, but then I'm probably not 'Mr & Mrs Average'.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Richard A Thackeray If they want a 'pre-run' I'm happy to help. It'd be on Saturday 17th August though as all of the other weekends I'm booked on.

I wouldn't advise riding it during the week as the route can get busy. In fact, by the time they get to Snake Pass if leaving Wakefield at 9am it'll probably be closer to 11am-12pm, which would be too busy IMO. I'd personally leave Wakefield by 7am latest.

Agree with your timings, I've ridden the circuit myself quite a few times over the years, be it in sun like today, or in the rain

On shorter runs, I've even had to shelter in that phone-box that used to stand (not sure if it does now??) in the layby on Woodhead Pass, where Vals(?) butty van used to stand, due to it starting to snow heavily - glorious sun before & later in ride though!

Top Bottom