Dartford tunnel bike bus.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Apparently one if those buses is being renovated.

I've used the free bike crossing many times. These days it's either in a van or on the back of a pick up. No where near as good as that bus.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The thing is they keep cutting the service. It used to be on demand. Either end, you used the phone to call the control and a few minutes later dependent on the traffic your lift would turn up.
A few years back they changed it to only operating certain times of the day which was a right pain.

It can be very busy at times with a lot of people working at the nearby huge Lakeside shopping centre using it.
It's not unusual to find a queue waiting to cross.

Sharky

Guru
Very interesting. I've never taken a bike through the tunnel. I was commuting daily through the tunnel from about 1975, to Brentwood. If it been around then, I may have tried it. There was only one tunnel in those days and the original promise was that when the tolls had covered the building costs, it would be free! Now we have two tunnels and a bridge and still traffic jams and still paying! I'm fortunate that I am eligible for the local discount scheme and costs me just £10 pa for 50 crossings.

Emanresu

Not exactly a bucket list item but might make a good circular trip.

Start at Barking Riverside Station then over to the south side to Woolwich. Then NS1 to Dartford. Then back through the tunnel to Purfleet (old haunt of mine) and back to Barking. About 45 miles it seems.

Top Bottom