Dating A vintage Raleigh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadaboot27

I have bought a 1930's Raleigh sport. I can tell Its defiantly from the 30's because of the components on the bike but I'm trying to work out the exact age. The rear hub says it's 1939 but the rear wheel may not be original as the front and rear wheels do not match. I have found the serial number at the top of the seat tube but I can't find any websites with a decent dating chart. Can anyone help me?

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Pictures are worth a thousand words...

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Here's what it looked like when I bought it:

Raleighsport001.jpg

Then I took all the junk off it and flipped the bars to give an idea of what it will look like when it's done:

eyeyhrwthwj066.jpg

eyeyhrwthwj068.jpg

And this is the serial number:

eyeyhrwthwj072.jpg

I make the number out to be B6145 E

I should really go over the number with a bit of sand paper to make it clearer though.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Thanks for the links but I have already tried these sites. They seem to miss out the year 1939 and My serial number is nowhere to be found on either sites.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Sorry @shadaboot27 but every time I see the title of this thread I get a very pythonesque image of someone in a small Italian restaurant with a bicycle as their partner making small talk and giving the bicycle amorous looks whilst being served by John Cleese.

Must be to much sun for me lol.

Top Bottom