Dawes Kingpins and chain joining question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all

I picked up a couple of Kingpins this last week or so. My wife thinks I'm mad ;-))

The first is 1976, brown and Olympic liveried (stickered) and whilst I'd intended to pimp it, It's quite nice so I'm thinking it would be a shame to mess with it. So I aquired another to pimp, a 1980, red and .............disappointingly ..............its as close to immaculate I think you can get for its age. So I'm still stuck on whether to pimp.

Anyway, I've ordered a 22t rear sprocket and new chain, but neither bikes have the old fashioned split links with a horseshoe clip like the bikes did when I was a boy in the 60's. I believe split links of that type are still available in 1/2 by 1/8 but wondered if there is any particular reason they are not on my two KP's, and is there a reason to avoid them in general?

Since I've "come out" I may as well disclose I also have a ratty BSA badged R20. OK, it's got weird threads and things, but perhaps that's the one to pimp (modern hub gear, cotterless crank etc.

Thanks
Graham

PS tried to add some pics of the bikes for added interest but its in the "too hard to do" category for the moment ;-(

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I can't answer your specific question about the chain because Ive only split one on a kp and put it back together with the same link, not the horseshoe link, but here's a blog about my KP http://daweskingpinbike.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

plus there's a FB Raliegh Twent group for useful info on all 20" wheel bikes plus there's a Raliegh Twenty site if Google it it should come up.

OP
OP
graham bowers
Pics
I can't answer your specific question about the chain because Ive only split one on a kp and put it back together with the same link, not the horseshoe link, but here's a blog about my KP http://daweskingpinbike.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

plus there's a FB Raliegh Twent group for useful info on all 20" wheel bikes plus there's a Raliegh Twenty site if Google it it should come up.
Thanks CarlP. I've seen your blog before, interesting reading, thanks. I've also asked my same question on a twenty FB group. I'm aware there is another twenty group but I expect there will be a degree of cross-pollination so I'll wait a bit..............

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I believe split links of that type are still available in 1/2 by 1/8 but wondered if there is any particular reason they are not on my two KP's, and is there a reason to avoid them in general?
They cost manufacturer's a penny more, so most seem to supply inferior two-piece clips that you have to bend and force apart. KMC call this "Snap-On" according to the box of the S1 I just bought (I finally realised I made a maths mistake a year ago and my gearing was about 10% higher than I thought... :blush:).

The only reason I can think why an owner might want to avoid them is if you're bad with pliers or running very tight chain clearance. You can buy a horseshoe link mail-order for £1.79 at http://www.starcyclespares.co.uk/traditional-chain-joining-split-link-for-3-speed-cycle-2844-p.asp

Top Bottom