DBS Winner - new arrival

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Offered for free I picked up this lunch-time a DBS Winner - a Norwegian brand - which looks to be from the early 1970's. It's complete but needing cleaning / greasing plus a few parts. The seatpost moves although the forks are very stiff.

Looks to have a heavy steel frame and with 27 1/4" wheels, Sachs Huret gears, Weinmann brakes and a single-piece crankset. Oh, and wing nuts - which appear to be original. Oh, and the integrated rear wheel lock comes with a key :smile:

I have no clue what the square hole in the rear triangle is for; some sort of trailer attachment? Otherwise it looks OK apart from some paint loss.

DSC00920.JPG

It'll need:

- New tyres
- New inner and outer cables
- New brake hoods
- New chain
- Possibly a replacement front and/or rear derailleur as they aren't adjusting well.

Something to source parts for and work on over the next few weeks whilst I'm waiting for bits for my other project - a Thompson Capella build.

DSC00921.JPG

DSC00922.JPG

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well that's a new brand name too me
As you said it shouldn't take much work
Give us a shout if you need some 27" alloys @DCLane

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

No photos yet but progress made this evening:

- Frame and crankset cleaned
- Stand adjusted so it didn't catch the right crank, which must have been both noisy and annoying
- Front and rear derailleurs off after soaking in penetrating fluid to get them moving again. They'll go into the ultrasonic parts washer tomorrow.
- Front and rear wheels had the axles plus bearings cleaned and re-greased with 50 year-old grease replaced
- New Continental Gatorskin tyres front & rear
- Cables removed, with new ones to be put together
- Old cloth bar tape removed. Bars still to be cleaned.
- Old brake hoods removed, new replacements ordered.

There's quite a bit of work to be done; cleaning, new inner/outer cables, new brake pads, headset to be dismantled and re-greased, etc. But it's getting there.

The crankset's a bit odd; it's a one-piece with 50/46 chainrings. The pedals are soaking prior to attempted removal. I'm leaving the bottom bracket alone at present since it rotates well, although it will get oil and grease through the oil port.

Overall this looks like a hardly-used 1973 bike. My work doesn't know where it came from, only that it's sat in a corner taking up space for many, many years. It's likely to have been brought over by a Norwegian student and then left behind as the brakes were set up European-style. Riding in hilly West Yorkshire with 50/46 chainrings and a 13-25 freewheel may have been a bit much. Apart from storage scratches and a bit of frame rust everything seems to have had very little use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Should allow you to work with children and vulnerable adults too!

Looking forward to progress.

Thanks. That's one option when I retire in a few years' time, and I could do it now but it'd mean a massive pay cut.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Just about finished this one; there's new brake hoods, new bar tape, new inner/outer gear and brake cables, new chain plus anything that could be cleaned has been. Lots of 50 year-old grease removed and caked dirt from 40+ years ago. The condition of the spoke protector / dork disc / whatever you want to call it showed it's had very little use. All the parts I took off looked like they were the originals.

There's a bit of adjusting to do with gears / brakes / settings but otherwise I'm happy overall.

DSC00941.JPG

What'll happen with this bike? Not sure, but it's too big for me - but at least it'll be put back into use. Or will be in the Spring; for now it'll go into storage.

Top Bottom