Dealing with dual carriageways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stopher83

I personally think that ride on dual carriageways is a big no no! I think that it is one of the worst thinks you can try. I heard only recently of a cyclist being killed near Newcastle on a dual carriageway.

http://www.uk-cycling.org

Cycling is banned on the A90 near me, cyclists have been killed there but I still see folk using but then again the obvious alternative NCN 1 isn't great. I my self take a lengthy detour to advoid both and ironically its faster than the NCN.

However on other motorways A roads like the A92 (Halbeath to Kirkcaldy) where cycling is allowed and there are plenty of signs alerting driver to the possible presence of cyclist I have never seen a bike :biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
Nigeyy said:
Well it's too bad you can't avoid them. I think it's got to depend on the dual carriageway (general speeds and the general driving behaviour). I'm all for taking primary, but usually only at speeds that aren't hugely relatively different and with drivers who I have some modicum of confidence will pay attention.

If the dual carriageway is really fast and with inattentive drivers, personally I'd be cycling further to the left, or actually stopping to get a good view and waiting for a gap in the traffic (perhaps pushing your bike) to cross the road or get in the right lane. I'd say use common sense and remember your safety is more important than attempting to prove car drivers should share the road responsibly.

I'm ready to duck, as I've a feeling some people on this board might strongly disagree!

I think you have hit it on the head here,if you feel unsafe,why push it?if the gap is there fine,but if not pull over and wait or walk it.When cars are doing 60+ the closing distance is very fast,especially when your hardly moving in comparison,and thats how accidents happen i think,the driver misjudges the time they have before getting to you,and going on what happens in 30 mph zones i dont have that much confidence in them on dual carriageways,if in doubt,stop and reassess,its not worth it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think it does rather depend on the particular dual carriageway. I'd suspect there's no doubt that the experience is hugely intimidating. As with the rest of cycling, though, intimidating is not the same as dangerous, so I wonder what the danger is likely to be in comparison with urban and country cycling.

col

Legendary Member
I would go for dangerous on dual carriageways,as the speed involved gives less time for corrections and its not normally what drivers are expecting in front of them turning right at very slow speeds in comparison.

domtyler

Über Member
The speed differential is potentially huge with traffic thundering by at a hundred or more.

The only positive is that you will most probably not have to suffer for long if you do get hit.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I agree -generally my thoughts of dual carriageways are cars doing 60mph+ *AND* not expecting to see cyclists. The difference in speed is just too much for me to feel safe (got to admit I'm slow).

Having said that, I remember cycling on some dual carriageways where traffic lights and roundabouts were frequent, and the average speeds seemed to be much lower -I felt comfortable cycling these.

Aaah I remember the days in my youth where I'd cycle up the A1 from Newark..... Not sure I'd do that today!

col said:
I would go for dangerous on dual carriageways,as the speed involved gives less time for corrections and its not normally what drivers are expecting in front of them turning right at very slow speeds in comparison.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
And who said Dom was a pessimist?! Happy thoughts Dom, happy thoughts....:tongue:

domtyler said:
The speed differential is potentially huge with traffic thundering by at a hundred or more.

The only positive is that you will most probably not have to suffer for long if you do get hit.

OP
OP
Twiggy

Twiggy

Some interesting differences in opinion here.

We've got the "never ever" crowd
The "far to the left as possible and get off and walk" crowd
The "be really careful" crowd
and the "you're all gonna dieeee!" bunch.
;)

Sadly yes, cyclists are killed on major roads far too often, but that doesn't mean we should be forced off major roads, or made to feel we can't use them.
Maybe something akin to Reclaim the Night marches, Reclaim the A roads. Critical Mass rides tend to be more about raising awareness on city streets, but there are many major roadways that would be safer if there was occasionally a large cyclist presence, and more thought given to raising driver awareness of cyclists.

*beings planning*

Any road can be dangerous if drivers and cyclists aren't paying enough attention, cycling defensively is a good step to take on any road.

upsidedown said:
I've come to accept that I am in the fragile minority so adopt my ride to suit.

Probably a very succinct observation, which I am aware of on the dual carriageway I ride on the commute...

If you're unsure of what to do at a right-turn, waiting for a gap/getting off may be the best solution...ultimately - how you judge your own safety will dictate what's needed....:sad:

HLaB said:
Cycling is banned on the A90 near me, cyclists have been killed there but I still see folk using but then again the obvious alternative NCN 1 isn't great. I my self take a lengthy detour to advoid both and ironically its faster than the NCN.

However on other motorways A roads like the A92 (Halbeath to Kirkcaldy) where cycling is allowed and there are plenty of signs alerting driver to the possible presence of cyclist I have never seen a bike ;)

Trouble with the A92 is it flows straight off the M90 and folk seem to assume (despite the signage to the contrary) it is still Motorway! I took my daughters on it (& the Bridge) fairly early on in their driving lessons, they and their mum were surprised to learn they were both "ordinary" A roads, lol.....

But you are right enough I've never seen a cyclist on it either, although if I was cycling to Kirkaldy it's not the way I'd go!

Angus

Plax

Guru
Well, I went to visit the folks this afternoon. Spur of the moment thing really as I was in town picking up my new glasses and figured since I was halfway there anyway I might as well pop in and blag some lunch.
Had the ATC2K with me, mounted to the pannier rack using the helmet mount. It is steadier than I thought it would be (first outing attached to the bike in this way).
Anyways, I've played around with Windows Movie Maker and figured out how to add music (aren't you all lucky!). Here are a couple of clips of cycling on the A55 dual carriageway;

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZrdiptCWFY

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-K2lfDAth8

Very boring really. Not too much problems, although there was far more lorries on the road than I'd have liked. I think there is a section on the first clip where two lorries overtake me one after the other, closer than I'd have liked (that's a weak secondary position for you). My top actually blew up my back when they went past.

Top Bottom