Debate in House of Commons 21st Jan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pshore

There was a debate last Friday.
Read here

2.32 pm
Dr Julian Huppert (Cambridge) (LD): I am very grateful to have secured the debate and I thank the Minister of State for attending, particularly at the end of a week in which the Under-Secretary of State for Transport, my hon. Friend the Member for Lewes (Norman Baker), made an important and encouraging statement on local sustainable transport. [continues]

My attention was brought to this by a Cambridge Evening News story.

A spokesman for the RAC Foundation said: “Mr Huppert’s motives might be honourable, but rather than encouraging harmony between cyclists and drivers he risks widening the divide

“The reality is there are reckless elements among all groups of road users.

“He is right to say tough action needs to be taken against offenders, but wrong to seek to establish a hierarchy of the supposed righteous.”

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Good speech .... I'd vote for him if he was my MP. But what actions will arise from it I wonder.

OP
OP
pshore

pshore

My thoughts were so many valid and current issues have been tabled and the response from Theresa Villiers in my opinion just said "we are doing enough".

I was hoping for more of a debate on presumed liability and justice but that was pretty much ignored by saying leave it to the CPS and later deflected towards "Manual for Streets 2" (which I can't find an online copy of)

It does leave you wondering what do you have to do to get politics working ? I wonder what the reaction was from other MP's and if there was much agreement or interest from other MPs.

Lurker

It's disappointing that Manual for Streets 2 isn't freely available as a download (as was MfS1).

If the authorities wished to disempower voluntary sector campaigners with an interest in our streets, by restricting MfS2's availability in this way, they couldn't have made a better job of it....

It is however available - though currently out of stock - on Amazon for the slightly more affordable £40:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manual-Stre...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295950785&sr=1-1

Top Bottom