Decals - removing decals from Frame/Carbon Forks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cool_hand

Über Member
I have Genesis Equilibrium Ti (purchased used a couple of years ago) and I'm considering removing the decals from the frame and the forks. I just don't like them.
My guess is removing from the frame should be fairly easy although suggestions on how to do this is welcome.
What is more concerning is the decal on the carbon fork. The fork appears to have a clear gloss lacquer applied to it and my concern is removing the decal will damage the finish or leave a mark on the fork; what do you think?

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Leave it be, you'll make a mess. The Ti looks to have painted decal's I think, but by taking it off with any abrasive will change the 'finish' so you'll probably end up seeing where the decals were and you'll probably need a professional polish after. The forks, it will be under a lacquer, so again will need finishing off.

If the decals are vinyl, then heat and peal off, but they don't look it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
To remove the decals on the frame you need nail polish remover or acetone (buy a bottle from the bay).
Don't listen to @fossyant , he doesn't know ;)
It will remove the decals from the frame no problem without leaving any trace or marks. He's right about the forks though.

Last edited:

Fastpedaller

DO NOT use nail varnish remover or acetone (nb acetate is incorrect Ianrauk ;) ) anywhere near carbon parts because it could ruin them .... or near paint either!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just don't get anything abrasive in the paint removal or you'll alter the finish so let the acetate get to work. Eg G3 paint restorer will remove the transfers but you'll get a nicely polished section of Ti frame.

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
This Equilibrium Ti is a 2014 model. Genesis decal design had been this large block of colour with the logos usually knocked out/stencilled.

equilibrium-ti.jpeg

equilibrium-00.jpeg

In 2015 the decals got a redesign and IMO they were much improved. They dropped the coloured holding blocks, the Equilibrium logo became a subtle script font (similar to Coca Cola) applied positive on the top tube.
142775_1.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 09.50.46.png

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
If the decal on the fork is lacquered over you're stuck unless you use abrasives and re-finish which will carry risk. If on top you might have luck with a heat gun; however its effect on the composite beneath would concern me. Definitely stay away from solvents.

As for the frame, acetone might work if it's paint assuming the frame beneath is raw and not lacquered. That said if it doesn't work and you make a mess you'll be looking at other solvents (something should work) or abrasives which as already suggested might open up a can of worms re. matching the original brushed finished.

I'd be a little surprised if the stuff on the frame is paint, so you might want to try a heat gun first..

I think the least risky route (other than leaving it alone) is to restrict your efforts to the frame only..

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Other than the guff on the seatpost tube I think the branding looks alright tbh..

Top Bottom