Decathlon 700c Aero Rear Wheel - Freehub spins in both directions!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Allo allo.

A few weeks ago I got on my commuter bike and the crank span forward without creating any wheel movement.

I figured the freehub had corroded inside, or the pawls were broken or stuck open.

I sprayed into the Freehub and it worked the pawls free - the wheel was working.

I've used the bike again for a few long rides but this morning (-5c) the freehub is again playing up. I had already made it half a mile when it failed.

I can't see any spares on Decathlons site at the moment but I am guessing a new Freehub is the only option ?

iluvmybike

Über Member
You need to know the make of the hub and the model number in order to identify & buy a new freehub body

Reactions: C R

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If there is any moisture in the freehub at -5 you might have an issue and any lubricant in there may also have an increased visosity that might effect the pawls.

Alex321

Veteran
Allo allo.

A few weeks ago I got on my commuter bike and the crank span forward without creating any wheel movement.

I figured the freehub had corroded inside, or the pawls were broken or stuck open.

I sprayed into the Freehub and it worked the pawls free - the wheel was working.

I've used the bike again for a few long rides but this morning (-5c) the freehub is again playing up. I had already made it half a mile when it failed.

I can't see any spares on Decathlons site at the moment but I am guessing a new Freehub is the only option ?
There are some freehubs which can be opened up, cleaned and re-greased.

But not many, and unlikely to be found on a Decathlon level bike, so yes, you almost certainly need a new one. It is unlikely to be proprietary Decathlon though, you should be able to find a replacement online somewhere else once you have identified what yours is.

I had a very similar issue with my Boardman hybrid about this time last year - it happened first in zero-degree weather, I freewheeled down the hill towards home and it cleared up by itself that time (once I got into warmer air), but then it happened more and more often. For a while it would clear if I lifted the rear end of the bike and dropped it from a few inches, but eventually it just stayed open.

So after taking off the cassette and the freehub, I was able to work out which one it was and order a new one online (from SJD cycles), and hat cured the issue. BTW, the freehub required an 11mm hex key, which is not a common size - the replacement came with an adapter to add on to an 8mm hex key.

Since its knackered I would try and take it apart, here is a u tube video of several types

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syG-5gun1Dw

I have had this happen occassionely in my cycling career ie sometimes miss a beat, only had a mavic hub completely fail, broken pawl, I have always managed to get the hub apart I have replaced the heavy grease with a lighter lythium grease which has sorted it..

boydj

Legendary Member
In cold weather you may need a source of warm liquid to get the freehub working again. Not usually a problem if you are at home or in a nice quiet country lane.

13 rider

Guru
Honestly it might be easier to just buy a new wheel I now not repaired g stuff is frowned upon . My Shimano freehub has stopped working ordered replacement due April !!! So new wheel for me

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

thanks everyone. No replacement parts orderable via Decathlon - will pop into my local one today. I may just get another wheel and repair this when I can get the part - I will add it to my collection of totally useless back wheels. I think it is a standard Shimano 9 speed freehub. I think the cold may have played its part in my commute fail.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

Decathlon have stopped selling wheels for "Legal reasons" according to my local store.
They had some Mavics for sale so must just be there own branded wheels.
They have no spare Freehubs for sale in store or online - THEY USED TOO!!!!!!
Hey ho

Top Bottom