Decathlon bikes-Rockrider 5.0 & 5.1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Hi

I'm going to pick up a cheap bike for the missus tonight-undecided whether to purchase a 5.0 or 5.1.

It won't be a 5.0 womens as the frame is sloped in such a way it won't hold a bracket for the childs seat we have (Hamax Siesta).

The 5.1 looks to have a sturdier (thicker) frame but has front suspension (seems a waste of time to me)

It will be used for trails and light road use-probably won't see more than 10-15 miles use in one go. I might get them to change the tyres for semi slicks.

Any thoughts before I purchase on which one/stuff I should watch for/extras to buy?

Thanks

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
My other half has a 5.1. Cracking little bike, tbh the front suspensions not up to much, but it's not too heavy either. The basic components are all pretty much spot on for the price, and the frame is excellent.

The only thing I would be careful of is the stock tyres. They're frankly rubbish. Not only are they plasticky and gripless, but if they do puncture the casing is so thin the tyre can split making a roadside change v difficult.

We changed these for Schwalbe Landcruisers asap, but other than that and a new sadddle the bikes still going strong after 2 years of steady use - more than can be said for most BSOs at this price point.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Thank you.

When I had a first look at the bikes I had a concern over the tyres and will look to change.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 1339995"]
You can get different shaped arms for Hamax seats -the bendy metal bit between the seat and the bracket- to account for different shaped frames. My wife's Subway wouldn't fit the standard seat, and changing the arm solved the problem.

Unless your problem is that the bracket won't fit on the seattube.
[/quote]

The issue with the women's 5.0 is the position of the top tube and down tube. IIRC it makes it impossible to locate the bracket so that the two metal prongs from the baby seat have space to connect to the bracket.

subaqua

What’s the point
get the decathlon loyalty card if you haven't already got one. its free and gives you money back to spend in store. I got new tyres ( not for the bike i bought) and spare innertubes for the Rockrider 8.1 a few weeks after i bought it.

they usually have silly offers on lights and pumps and miltitools when you buy a bike.

the lights it will come with are not brilliant but will suffice. the rear is the best of the pair.

mightyquin

I bought some MTB tyres at Decathlon for my beater, they're road/trail friendly and 6 quid each, seem pretty good (different from the ones fitted to the bikes)

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Picked up a womens 5,1 tonight.

Swapped the tyres for Vittoria Randonneurs and am glad I did. The tyres that came iff it are cack.

The bike looks quite nice and should do the job that it has been bought for.

Bought some clothing too for me and the other half - managed to spend an additional £100 :whistle: Although that included the pedal clips that fit over spd pedals so you can cycle in ordinary shoes.

Had 2 baskets of stuff and somewhere in the melee I lost 2 spare inner tubes and a second set of cycle clips (hides for cover). Will have to buy some from elsewhere.

Looking forward to the first leisurely ride this weekend.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I bought the 5.2 2010 model that was in the discontinued sale for £180

Has almost a full Altus groupset apart from the Suntour chainset and decent Rigida Sphinx double wall rims with decent Cheng Shin tyres (the biggest tyre manufacturer in the World).

The fame is the same as their 8 series models (changed it for the 2011 model to a cheaper one :sad: )

The nearest spec models from Trek or Spesh were double the price

Customer service was excellent too.

Top Bottom