Decathlon comes to Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On the way to work I noticed a advertising hording suggesting that Decathlon is about to open a store in Glasgow at the Fort.

Having heard good things about Decathlon on here, I'm looking forward to a wee visit. It opens on the 5th November.

ChrisKH

Guru
It's like any shop there are bargains and you can get caught unawares and find stuff cheaper elsewhere. Good range of stuff there though. I needed a basic rain coat to use to watch my son play rugby (the rest of my wet weather clothes are all cycling related) and picked up a really good waterproof sailing jacket/coat for £15. You can't get them that cheap anywhere else, not down south anyway.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I think it's crap, myself. I don't bother with the one nearest me anymore as the decent gear is the same price as you will get anywhere else and the cheap gear is cheap for the reason that it's crap. The inner tubes they have seem a bargain at £3.50 for two but as ever, you get what you pay for and usually one of every two is deformed around the valve and doesn't inflate correctly. Of course, there's no way of knowing this until you go to the trouble of putting one in and inflating it and if this is an emergency repair while you are out, it is not too good.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have a long list of really good gear I've got from Decathlon, all of which was much cheaper than anywhere else and has lasted well.

Same here......

Spent waaaay to much in there over the last couple of years. PS both their maintenance stands are good - got both...;)

PaulB

Legendary Member
I have a long list of really good gear I've got from Decathlon, all of which was much cheaper than anywhere else and has lasted well.

That's they key; lasted well. When it first opened, it wasn't too bad but now it's gone down the crapper. I bet you bought your gear some time ago to know it's lasted well but you'd struggle to find anything decent in there now, especially for cycling.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I have only used French branches of Decathlon and was very impressed with them both.

I bought a rear wheel in the Dijon branch for £30 - at that price it was never going to be a high quality wheel and sure enough it only lasted 3,500 miles before the spokes pulled through the rim - about the same distance that a much more expensive Deore hubbed Mavic 319 rimmed wheel lasted before suffering the same problem.

I bough a complete bike in Orleans this summer to replace a tourer whose rear drop out had fractured. Can't speak highly enough of the hybrid that I bought - Shimano hub dynamo, SRAM X4 mechs and shifters, mudguards and a rear rack. All I had to do was swap the seats over and it was ready to ride. Thought it was tremendous value at £350 and even better value in the UK branches where it costs £299

PaulB

Legendary Member
Nope.

And they still sell a lot of the gear I bought a few years ago which is still lasting well.

You old misery.

I'm not being a misery. I just think there are better shops around than this place which, because it is big, people are supposed to be impressed. Well I'm not. Forgive me for not agreeing with you.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
They do the Elite Ptao bottle cage for the same price Pro-Bike kit do. (£9)

And they do a lot of Zefal stuff at "web" prices. They were also, last year, the only place to have Michelin Krylions at £30 a pair (and actually have stock).

Their cheapo shorts are godawful though.

jay clock

Massive member
The inner tubes they have seem a bargain at £3.50 for two but as ever, you get what you pay for and usually one of every two is deformed around the valve and doesn't inflate correctly
I have bought dozens of their tubes and had no problems whatsoever.

I love the place and it is particularly good for running kit

Mr Farley

Their running stuff too is quite good. I use their lightweight running coat and long sleeve tops for cycling. The only difference is not having pockets on the back but on the side instead. They're normally better colours than the cycling stuff too.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Yes John I would agree with you about the shorts- the padding just doesn't work for me and they sit funny once on and I don't think it looks that good quality -I'm sure it fits others well though - the rest of the kit is not too bad and generally there is sometimes stuff in there components wise that can be good value.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
ttcycle said:
Yes John I would agree with you about the shorts- the padding just doesn't work for me and they sit funny once on and I don't think it looks that good quality -I'm sure it fits others well though - the rest of the kit is not too bad and generally there is sometimes stuff in there components wise that can be good value.

It's the same with any brand, I think. Dhb stuff fits me very nicely, others complain about the pad being too small, and the bibs too tight. That's just the way things are. At least in Decathlon you can try stuff on!

Top Bottom