Decathlon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Last summer I bought a Decathon hybrid bike, a B'twin triban 7, in Orleans when my Dawes Galaxy suffered from a fractured rear drop out. It was a close run thin financially but the galaxy was due to have the drive train replace/upgraded and all of the consumables replaced. The B'Twin proved to be a sound replacement and came with a Shimano hub dynamo and mid-range XRAM derailleurs. The service and assistance from the bike department staff was excellent and the transaction went ahead without a hitch.

This summer I had cause to visit Decathlon twice. Both instances were in France. The bottom bracket was making grinding noises and I took the bike into the Decathlon Store at Tours where, despite having a full schedule for the day, the cycle technician took on the replacement task there and then and for good measure adjusted the brakes and gears. Although I could deal with the replacement issue and pay for it my French wasn't up to negotiating a warantee repair. I kept the receipts for a claim on my return to the UK.

My second visit was to the Nevers' branch of Decathlon to have a replacement rear tyre fitted. Once again immediate attention from the workshop and as I was being served I met a fellow Brit who's purchased a Decathlon Expedition bike influenced by my recommendations on the touring forums. What a weird co-incidence.

Finally, when I got back to the UK, I contacted Decathlon online to enquire about a refund for the bottom bracket replacement. I had a fairly prompt response from the Sheffield branch who acknowledged my claim but said that it wasn't a straighforward claim as it was for a transaction in another country and that consultation with the national sports manager. After a couple of weeks of silence I contacted Decathlon again and received a prompt apology and a unilateral decision on the store manager's part to refund me the coat of the bottom bracket and fitting charge as he thought that, although he was waiting for a response from above, the delay in resolution was unreasonable. You can't be fairer than that can you.

I'm still happy with the bike. Shame it's no longer available as I can't recommend it for those wanting an affordable commuter/touring bike.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
Always good to hear about the positive things retailers do... makes a refreshing change to the slagging off that usually happens on fora.

Top Bottom