Decisions Decisions Decisions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissyR

So months of deliberating over all the pretty bikes out there I've narrowed my options to 3 (I think)....

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/roa...olan-tuono-carbon-road-bike-ultegra-6800.html

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-x-lite-crs-3000/aid:753668?bikevariantchanged=753692

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/r...dition?part=SE14BOTYSPORTIVERAC&sub=conf_SERW

I am also open to suggestions and opinions on all of these or if you have something else to throw in the mix let me know. So far the Dolan is leading the way subject to sizing of course, as I have a peculiar shape. The only one I cant really try on is the Rose obviously.

I have no issues with any groupset so Shimano, SRAM or Campagnolo? I like to be different :smile: so have you got in mind (Pictures are a must) as i'm a girl and pretty things appeal!

Tojo

Über Member
All nice, but I personally like the look of the Rose, it looks so sleek.....:thumbsup:

Look at the picture though, I hope they will put a front brake cable in......:whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Ribble now do SRAM. I personally find, that SRAM hoods are much better for me shape and width wise, for comfort and confidence braking and I don't have especially small hands for a woman. Go check the different groupsets out

What is peculiar about your shape and why have you decided on those bikes?

Personally I wouldn't choose any of those frames because of the (lack of) colour, the Dolan is the least bad but shimano hoods would make it a no. I can't see why any of those choices are different, for that money there are many more individual choices available :whistle:

OP
OP
MissyR

MissyR

Ribble now do SRAM. I personally find, that SRAM hoods are much better for me shape and width wise, for comfort and confidence braking and I don't have especially small hands for a woman. Go check the different groupsets out

What is peculiar about your shape and why have you decided on those bikes?

Personally I wouldn't choose any of those frames because of the (lack of) colour, the Dolan is the least bad but shimano hoods would make it a no. I can't see why any of those choices are different, for that money there are many more individual choices available :whistle:

I have had SRAM before and loved the fact I could adjust the levers without spacers. But as long as the reach is good then it wont matter the groupset.

I'm 5'7" with an inseam of 34" but have a short torso and reach :headshake: so it generally means I struggle when getting one that suits. Of course women specific bikes are slightly more ideal for the shorter top tube but frankly they are hideous. I have never been and never will be a pink girl!

None of the choices are vastly different in a spec point of view but obviously they arent widely available in your evans etc so I want to hear from those who have got one or have dealt with the companies above. My partne has a ribble sportive bianco and have to admit its a beautiful frame and rides really nice.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've seen very few women's road bikes that are pink especially as you move higher up the tree

I thought women's bikes generally have a taller head tube compared to the unisex model with the same TT

It's the fat hood shape I don't get on with for shimano which affects the reach. I also have cross levers on my primary road bike, just easier in the traffic I find myself I most of the time, this reach to brakes is no issue, I don't use the drops much for the same reasons

OP
OP
MissyR

MissyR

I agree in some respects vickster I prefer the hoods on sram and campagnolo compaired to shimano but if the top tube and stem are the correct fit then hoods shouldn't be a problem surely? I will be going for a bike fit anyway regardless of the bike I pick.

How is the basso shaun?

vickster

Legendary Member
I agree in some respects vickster I prefer the hoods on sram and campagnolo compaired to shimano but if the top tube and stem are the correct fit then hoods shouldn't be a problem surely? I will be going for a bike fit anyway regardless of the bike I pick.

I test rode the Genesis in stock form with 105, and found I couldn't brake comfortably at all simply due to the girth / shape of the hoods. I ended up building the same frame (albeit with a slightly shorter stem and narrower bars) with SRAM and it's far better. I wouldn't have been able to live with the Shimano, even just holding the hoods is poor for me, but we all have different shapes hands, fingers etc. Have some test rides and take it from there (although finding bikes with SRAM as stock is hard, my two are both builds)

OP
OP
MissyR

MissyR

I have small hands typical girl thee really. Do you have a pic of your Genesis (only because I have a soft spot for them). l love the lines of them :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
image.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
:training:There you go :wub:. She now has fulcrum 5 wheels, otherwise as is

My hands aren't especially small across the palms, but I maybe have relatively short fingers. Also, perhaps the space between thumb and forefinger is such that shimano hoods just don't feel right. Ultegra and up are slimmer but I've not ridden them, only 105 and Tiagra which just don't suit

OP
OP
MissyR

MissyR

She is a thing of beauty! I love the colour too :smile:

I'll be looking at minimum Ultegra, athena or force. I dont plan to change much in the next few years so If I can get as much as possible in the buy the better

goody

Veteran
I'd also consider something from Canyon (the Endurace). The Dolan looks nice and Zipp 60 wheels look good on the spec sheet but not sure I'd want them as my everyday wheels, to vague in blustery conditions. I've had the older Ribble New Sportive racing for 3 years and still love riding it but my next bike will probably be from somewhere like Canyon or Rose. I'm not a bike snob but Canyon have got a strong precence in the pro peloton and are still affordable and fairly exclusive. Rose also has a good brand image and seems bit classier than Dolan or Ribble not everyone will share that opinion I know but if we all had the same opinion we probably all be riding Specialized. I'm a Campagnolo fan and would be aiming at Chorus a bit dearer than Athena but looks fantastic!
https://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/series/endurace-cf.html

OP
OP
MissyR

MissyR

Cheers goody thats some good input. The zipps would be coming off as they are too showy for my liking but would defo fund a decent set of rims. I go back and forth between rose ribble and the dolan its very frustrating (for OH). My partner has the Ribble bianco and its lovely with all its upgrades. The rose is just amazing bang for buck and can be tailored to my needs but my only moot point is that its all online and wouldnt get a proper feel of the bike until it was delivered unfortunately and Im sure thats the same with canyon?!

Top Bottom