deep section - valves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
I've treated myself to a deep section rear wheel for this seasons TT's. I have inners with long valves (80mm), but still too short for the rims. The wheel came with valve extenders and i've used an inner with medium length valve and with the extender, it sticks out just over an inch, so ok for inflating. But you have to keep the presta lock nut undone.

Not used it in anger, but leaving the lock nut undone seems a bit scary. Also the possibility of the extender falling off.

Presume this is how you use them, but wondered if there is any special valves out there or special techniques. Any do' or dont's.

Thanks keith

screenman

Legendary Member
Leave the extender behind, not on the valve. The pressure in the tube will keep the valve shut.

bpsmith

Veteran
The extenders that came with my wheels require that you remove the valve, fit the extender, then fit the valve in the end of the extender.

Very neat and look infinitely better in smooth gloss black than a bare metal threaded section.

chriscross1966

Über Member
The extenders I had to fit on the deep-section carbon rims on my Brompton live on the valves with the core screwed into the top of them.... They seem to work OK, but I had to get the right length, too short and you couldn't get a pump on securely, too long and the pump head fouls on spokes, and the rear disk (or fiddle around on the chain side)... the joys of deep-section rims running on big hubs on a 349 wheel...

Top Bottom