Deflating tyres for flight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
Letting tyres down seems to depend on the individual baggage handeler, ignore whatever the company/airport may. or may not, say on the issue.

The (actually valid) reason for letting down the tyres is that all aircraft/airline/airport rules state that 'no pressurised containers are permitted in the hold'
Whilst we can all agree that a tyre going BANG! is not going to do any damage to anything other than the innertube that does not stop an aircraft returning to the stand to find out what caused the bang.
(I speak from experience here. Half a day late back from HK due to an alarm clock in a back going off in a bag in the hold)

jay clock

Massive member
just let them down. Regardless of the science which says otherwise you WILL get asked to. Even the Ryanair one that says optional does not stop them saying that the airport has different rules.

You could get arsy and ask them if all the cans of deodorant and shaving foam in the hold have to be emptied too.... but not worth the argument.

When touring I have a couple of pumps like the Topeak Road Morph that work as a tiny track pump and have had no problem getting good pressure. I also take an adapter to allow garage air lines to be used. And contrary to the comments above these will readily go to explosion level if pushed.

The car rental places at the airports are perfect for getting air......

Final comment, I believe plane tyres are inflated with nitrogen.......

frank9755

Cyclist
just let them down.

There are two reasons you don't want to do that!

1. Half of the time you are not asked if you have deflated them

2. Bikes, even in a bag often seem to get get dragged along on their wheels. Having air in protects both your tyres and rims.

Obviously, if someone insists or does it for you, you don't have any choice, but why concede if you don't have to?

frank9755

Cyclist
Whilst we can all agree that a tyre going BANG! is not going to do any damage to anything other than the innertube that does not stop an aircraft returning to the stand to find out what caused the bang.
(I speak from [irrelevant] experience here. Half a day late back from HK due to an alarm clock in a back going off in a bag in the hold)

That's not the point - the tyre won't go 'bang'.

I have never come across a reported example of this happening!

Brains

Legendary Member
That's not the point - the tyre won't go 'bang'.

I have never come across a reported example of this happening!

errrr, why not ?
You must be one of the few people that have never had a tyre go bang.
I've had at least 4 that I can remember. Two caused by glass, one caused by over inflation, one caused by a tyre wall failing.
No reason why a tyre should not go bang in an aircraft hold, have you seen how sharp the damaged corners of the aluminum containers they use for bags get ?

recombodna

Regular
"Most forecourt pumps can't get to a high enough pressure, about 50 psi max, "

A forecourt pump will blow your tyre clean off the rim if you're not careful. ( In my experience anyway)
icon_redface.gif

If you see how bikes and other luggage is handled by some baggage handling teams, when loading or unloading the smaller planes then worring about if to deflate your tyres is least of the problem. personally I always deflate the tyres, but only till they are a little soggy, then they will still protect the rim when some hairy arsed handler drags it from the hold or pod. or decides it is easier to drop the bike out of the hold rather than put it on the Conveyer belt.

One point to know, these days apart from BA, the checkin and Luggage handling is outsourced to other companies, its best to find out who handles the airline and chat with them as to what rules they apply.
Bob G.

doog

My tyre exploded (tyre / rim problem) as I was cycling away from Girona airport, it must have been mighty close to going at 30,000 feet with the estimated extra 14psi that occurs with a flight.

Mitz

I flew with my bike to the UK with BMI Baby and back with Ryanair. BMI Baby ask you to deflate tyres as a condition of carriage. Ryanair say that you can leave them inflated. However having been to the check in desk you have to take it to the oversize luggage desk, and there the airport security check it. I was immediately made to deflate both tyres even though the airline were happy to leave them inflated. He said if they werent deflated then they werent going on the plane. It's only common sense really I guess

gotanypegsdave

Fuselage pressurised to the equivalent of 2000 m. I'm sure many of us have happily cycled at over 5000 m. Nothing happens. The whole thing is nonsense, but it doesn't stop airline personnel enforcing it. Rather like mobile phones in petrol stations.

Top Bottom