Delta trike vs Tadpole trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I own a QNT and a Kettwiesel. The overall length of the Kett' is about 4" longer than the QNT. Both lengths are height of rider related so taller riders will find the same difference as me in the two models.

I'm more secure on the QNT in corners, in that I can, and every so often do, lift the inside wheel in a corner. The Kettwiesel is pretty good on corners too, I have never lifted a wheel, I do take it a little bit steadier than on the QNT. I feel if it lifted the inside wheel on the Kettwiesel it would be harder to control than the QNT which is a totally instinctive correction for me. This is purely a confidence thing, I do not have good balance so others may well feel differently. Hase have some video clips of their riders on two wheels so it is certainly possible.

The Drum brakes on the QNT give much better braking than the Avid BB5s on the Kettwiesel. This is because the QNT has effectively two front brakes and the Kettwiesel two rear. It's not that the Kettwiesel brakes poorly, it stops in around the same distance as a DF, maybe a little better. The QNT brakes almost as well as my car!

I find the Kettwiesel is slower by 5 to 10% than the QNT over routes I regularly ride. Part of this is the slightly lower top gear on the Kett' which limits my habit of swooping down one hill to 'charge' the next up hill stretch. Other factors to take into acount are the more upright riding position on the Kett and the general difference in overall height. The QNT seems to 'feel' headwinds less, being so close to the road.

The Kettwiesel is a drier ride on wet days, I use the same Streamer Fairing on both trikes and the mount is relatively higher on the Kettwiesel allowing more side access to water from wind blow rain and vehicle spray but the front wheel has a mudguard and mud flap so doesn't wet me even when hitting a deep puddle. The QNT front wheels send spray sideways onto my lower thighs. Also the QNT seems to be at such a height that spray from passing vehicles hits my face more than on the Kettwiesel where I'm some 10" higher.

Parking in town favours the Kettwiesel as it can stand on its tail, so avoiding young boys 'trying out' the seat as they have been known to do with the QNT!

Riding in traffic is easier on the Kettwiesel as its height gives better vision and visibility. I use a flag on the QNT and not on the Kett' to enable drivers to 'see' me.

Both trikes are now on Big Apples and the rear suspension on the QNT really takes the sting out of bumps, the difference is noticable.

To sum up.
1. The Kettwiesel is better in the wet.
2. The QNT is a little faster.
3. In a busy town the height of the Kett' alongside its tighter turning circle makes it the first choice.
4. Off road or on bad road surfaces the QNT is a more comfortable ride.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
That is a really good write up there Byegad. Thank you.
It gives a really good impression of when and why one would chose one layout over another.

byegad

Legendary Member
Thanks Night Train,

Having two trikes was the second best thing I've done in cycling. The best was to buy my first trike!

I would add that if ever forced to sell a trike I'd reluctantly let the Kettwiesel go. That's because I live in a small village and so ride in open countryside more often than in town. If I lived in town the QNT would be the one to go. Hopefully I'll never have to make that choice!

kbrumann

Cunobelin said:
The only "commercial leisure trike that fits this format is the ZOX T20, but this is frintwheel drive - another kettle of fish...

trike.jpg

Is there anyone in East Anglia with a Zoxbike or Zox Tandem willing to show it or let me test ride one?

I am very keen on a allwheel drive, seperatable tandem like this one:
ZOXduo.jpg
but would really want to find out more about front wheel drive in practise...

K

Chonker

Veteran
I have not ridden a delta trike, however the tadpole layout makes more sense to me mainly due to the greater tyre contact on the steering/braking wheels.

It also allows the arc of the legs to pass between the wheels rather than having the wheel between your legs (limiting steering angle) or having an overly long trike (see Rans Trizard, very cool, but BIG) and the turning circle to match. Keeping a low CoG and small frontal area, it also fits the ideal aerodynamic teardrop shape for fairings without large overhangs.

With a delta trike wouldn't you need driveshafts/differential (probably bespoke parts) at the back? Sounds expensive and heavy (though ackerman steering isn't so light I guess)

byegad

Legendary Member
Most deltas turn much tighter than a tadpole, my QNT is 4" shorter than my Kett' yet the Kettwiesel turns in little more than its own length.

The Trizard is plain huge, so may have a turning circle similar to a tadpole.

Brakes on trikes are typically on the pair of wheels.

My Kettwiesel, now with Avid BB7 calipers, stops as well as any bike, locking one or both rear wheel is possible but as the front wheel is so lightly loaded, carrying in my case just over 20% of the weight, braking the front wheel would add little to deceleration.

My QNT, using SA drum brakes, will on a dry road lift the rear wheel under extreme braking (Not something you want to do as the trike then tries to swap ends on you!) and will out brake any DF bike by a good margin. I'd go so far as to say that the QNT braking is comparable to my car. Adding a rear brake makes sense if you are going to use it as a parking brake, or as a drag brake, but in an emergency stop all it will do is make swapping ends easier as the then lightly loaded rear wheel locks up. KMX have entertained a generation of kids by fitting a rear brake so the kids can do this on purpose. Ask any of their parents about the cost of repacelent tyres for the KMX

byegad

Legendary Member
Chonker said:
During braking your front wheel wont be carrying just 20% weight though :wacko:

I'd accept that but 20% initially means it would be very likely to lock up at the point of application.

My point is that with effectively two rear brakes the Kettwiesel pulls up at least as well as my Thorn Club Tour did, and with less chance coming to grief while overdoing it.

ASTROPY CAPTAIN

Hey!! Frnds want some suggestions from aal of you. As i had read your reviews about tadpole and delta, i found it so much help full. Idon't know rather you all know about SAE(Society of Automotive Engineers) ornot. But, I am going to make a Hybrid tricycle using BLDC motor. Which will be of two sittings. then in that case i would like Your suggestions that I should use delta system Or tadpole. Ita a big confusion for me. So, guys plzz help me to solve out this problem.

Top Bottom