Delurking to say Hi (and have a TINY whinge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Hi all. Finally inspired to make a post on here. It's a familiar story. 43 years old, very over weight (230 lbs), I was looking around for something to do about that, that I would actually WANT to do. I vaguely remembered liking cycling as a kid...
Doing a bit of research I soon found this forum, and it has been a real goldmine. Great advice, inspirational tales, friendly banter. Love it. So based on what I picked up on here, I've bought a Triban 3. And I f'in love it! All I want to do is get out there on it. Due to work, today was only my third day out on the bike. Set out early to try for my longest ride ever. On the way back into Ipswich I got my first puncture. Oh well, a new adventure (sigh). On the plus side, Strava said I'd just passed 20 miles, so that's a milestone! Anyway... few minutes later, pumping up the repaired tyre with the new mini-pump - I bugger up the valve. Now I'm screwed. I recently hurt my achilles, so walking is WAY harder than biking. But nothing like no choice, so off I set for the last 3 or 4 miles home. This is where I want to have the smallest whinge. I could be kind of philosophical about events so far. I was upset to have a puncture on only my third day. I was annoyed at myself for breaking the valve. Every step on my right foot was pain. But I'd learn. I'll carry a spare tube. I'll try these CO2 carts I've read about. But when a couple of cyclists come the other way and I hear the guy commenting loudly to his lady-friend about 'people who take their bike for a walk' I just thought I could have done without that. Thanks buddy. Nice welcome to the local cycling community. Hope your chain breaks.
But all is better now. I fixed the bike and just took it for a quick 16 mile blast to 'test it' ;)
Not bad for an out of shape old man.
Thanks for reading. Look forward to me posting all over the place now I'm 'out'.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Keep it up Simon!

I'm not a fan of CO2 for inflating tyres. I could see the point in mountain bike races when riders had to fix their own mechanical problems and get moving again ASAP, but on the road, I can't see it. A mate tried them for a while but ended up having to borrow my pump when he ran out of cartridges after a puncture-fest of a ride.

I'd recommend that you try one of the pumps that is like a mini-track pump, with a fold-down foot, a decent handle on the pump and a flexible tube to connect to the valve. I have a Halfords own-brand, but it is very similar to the Topeak Mini-Morph. You can use your bodyweight on the pump rather than relying on arm strength, and the flexible hose means that you won't rip the valve out of the tube.

As for ignorant people - you meet them in all walks of life, and cycling is no different.

I always offer help if I think it is needed. One old mountain biker with a puncture told me that he was okay and would walk his bike home. When I asked where that was, it turned out to be about 6 miles away! I convinced him that it was no trouble and had him sorted out in less than 15 minutes.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
oh dear , at least i hope you can get out again and enjoy the rides .

just ignore some comment must admit i have never come across a stranded fellow cyclist but i hope i would stop and offer what ever help i can

defy-one

A holes in all walks of life mate. Don't let the minority taint your view of a wonderful hobby/sport .... Way of life :smile:

Illegitimi non carborundum Simon :thumbsup:

+1 for ColinJ's comments about C02. I used them for a while, and still do to some degree, but there is no substitute for one for THESE.

The only downside is it's quite long, but it you don't mind frame mounting it then it's fine. I don't frame mount pumps which is why I still use C02 on occasion, but I'd never recommend C02 to anyone TBH.

Ride safe, and hope the Achilles gets better soon :thumbsup:

sidevalve

Über Member
Hi from a returned cyclist. Sorry about the puncture but it's a fact we all have to live with I'm afraid. I don't use CO2 either I wonder if you were going at the pumping bit a bit, well , hard. If you don't have far to go you don't need too much preasure just to "get home" if you're carefull and take it slow. I use a cheapo mini pump for emergencies and it works [within it's limits] quite well.
As for the comments, the guy may simply not have realized you were having a problem and just meant the comment as a [poor] joke. The trouble is there is no way of communicating the "help mate, I'm a bit stuck here" message. It can be tricky to know what to do if you see someone walking / sitting by the road. Aftre all he might just be having a rest and / or admiring the view and enjoying his own company.
In the 50s and early 60s m/cyclists started tying a handkerchief to the handlebars if broken down and usually someone would stop to help but of course thing moved on and it faded away. I [and I suspect most of us here] would pull over, even if in the car to help a cyclist we kew was in trouble, but that's the problem, how would you know ?

OP
OP
SimonJKH

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
I wasn't really expecting anyone to stop and help. I was certainly the architect of my own demise. I just didn't want to be the but of somebody's joke at this low point in my nascent cycling career. But whatevs, I'm over it now. If I see him again I'll give him the same friendly greeting I give to all fellow cyclists. I love this hobby!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome to the site and hope you enjoy the banter.Shame the other cyclist did not offer to help as that has left a nasty taste and i hope they are never in that situation.I always ask if any help is required when i see a fellow cyclist on the road side,it's just a friendly way to get around unlike driving ! Good luck with the riding and keep it up and us lot posted

The Horse's Mouth

Proud to be an Inverted snob!
A mere 230lbs.

You should have decked the mouthy git (he was just trying to impress the lady, no doubt)! :boxing:

Glad you'ver taken to cycling: it IS addictive. Plenty of fun and advice to be found here, and a ruck if you feel like it in some sections of the forum! :whistle:

A good pump (Lezyne is my personal favourite), plus a couple of tubes, glue and patches, tyre levers, multi-tool etc. should see you right.

You might want to consider upgrading your tyres to something a bit more bullet-proof: Something with kevlar should do the trick.

There are plenty of CCers in East Anglia (I assume that is where you live) so keep your eyes open if you want to have an informal (:cuppa: and :hungry:) ride with a friendly and fun group of peeps.

Boon 51

Veteran
Hi from me over here... :smile: as been said its a shame about the other cyclists, but you get that in all walks of life..
If you ride down my way call in and have a beer you will have deserved it... :biggrin:

Berties

Fast and careful!
If I ever see a rider down or needing help I stop and do what I can I only carry my repair stuff in jersey pouches but have mended punctures and have given a tube away to get a fellow pedlar on the move and yes I use co2 and again a fill costs a couple of quid but the speed of a tube inflate is seconds,
Remember the wheel is round and if you give help you will receive it

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hey Simon and welcome.

The triban is a lot of bike for the money, good choice. I use the CO2 cartridges mainly because i dont have room in my tool pack for a larger pump and frankly I hate pumping up tyres.I've never been caught without a cartridge but I do sometimes not want to "break" into one if the tyre is only a little flat. So I do carry a back up mini pump that I can get about 50psi out of before it heats up and becomes un-pumpable. That's often enough to get me to a shop to use their track pump.

just to remain objective, the issue I have had with cartridge systems is the speed at which they inflate and the "one hit" nature. its always possible to mis-seat the tube especially around the valve area and cause a bulge in the tyre as you inflate. with a pump, you can see that forming and stop pumping. with CO2 you don't and run the risk of herniating the tube as it blows up to 120psi in 2 seconds.

so, if you do use a cartridge, be sure to push the valve in a little after you put the tyre back on (it usually makes a small pop) and dont just screw it in place straight away before inflating.

PS, I broke two Presta valves in a month when I first bought the road bike, just by clamping on the pump incorrectly...fiddly little feckers they are to begin with, the tops just snap of if you aren't familiar with them.

As for the rude cyclist. ignore them, there are plenty of fantastic ones to meet.

Top Bottom