Derailleur Hanger - 1982 Peugeot Talisman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Inspired by @cosmicbike 's thread about an old Peugeot, I got mine out earlier, from behind two other non-rideable projects, much to my shame.

I've been getting together a few bits with the idea of fitting them, one of which is a new rear derailleur to replace the rather tired Simplex one it has currently. After 35 years I think it's done it's fair share of changes.

The frame has no lugs for mounting though, instead it uses this plate, which sits in the drive-side drop out.
Outside view
IMG_20150401_222008.jpg

Inside view (there is a flat nut that the derailleur bolts in to, but I've just noticed it's not in the picture because I left it on the old derailleur so I don't lose it)
IMG_20150401_222025.jpg

The nut you can see in the top picture is to hold it on to the bike - it screws in to the D shaped piece of metal and that clamps it into the drop out, so there is no threaded part on the bike for it to bolt onto at all (which I suppose makes the frame ideal as a fixie, but I live in Sheffield so that ain't going to happen!)

Unfortunately my new derailleur doesn't fit because evidently the standard mounting bolt had got bigger since 1979, so it doesn't fit through the hole, let alone into the flat nut that I haven't taken a picture of.

My question, therefore, is where the chuff can I get one of these with a bigger hole in it from, or do I just need to get a friendly mechanic to drill this one out?

Also, while you're here, as it were - how much clearance is considered acceptable with mudguards? The bike has guards on it, which I might as well keep, but as the roads here are so awful I'd quite like my chunkier wheels and tyres on it - currently 700 x 37, but the clearance is a little tight around the fork crown. Does this look too snug to the trained eye (i.e. not mine)? Thanks.

View attachment 84438

Attachments

• IMG_20150401_222349.jpg
    IMG_20150401_222349.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Just changed the title as I've managed to find out a year and model for the bike. I found this picture on eBay of the hanger in place:

gears.PNG

HovR

Über Member
You'll want a new "claw type hanger" like the one here. A modern one should also be threaded, so you won't need that nut to hold the dérailleur on. I've ran guards with clearances that tight before, but only on road bikes which don't tend to pick up too much dirt. That would probably be a tad tight if you intend on taking the bike onto tow paths etc.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Perfect - thank you. The one I have is not flat like the one linked to, but there should be more than enough adjustment in the mech to cope - the old one is only stepped by 10mm max.

I don't intend taking this one on tow paths - my 'daily' is a drop-bar converted mountain bike, which has much more clearance. The Peugeot is much lighter though, obviously (especially so at the moment as it is just a frameset on wheels, basically:smile: ) so it might be nicer to ride on days when I don't need to take my laptop and so on to work - when it gets nicer I'd like to use this to turn my commute into a long-ish ride, all on road. But the roads here are seriously bad - I did commute on it once: 32 year old corroded Weinmann calipers and 30 year old Mavic E3 rims plus 110psi was not a comfortable combination. (And my word, a 46" bottom gear, Sheffield hills and no cycling miles for almost 15 years was worse!)

HovR

Über Member
Yeah, the French used some interesting (not so standard) standards around that time, including a slightly smaller derailleur bolt fastened to the frame with a nut. Mine has the same fitting, although with a hanger integral to the frame. I'm not sure I've seen any modern ones recessed as yours is, but like you say, a modern derailleur should have the range to cope.

Just drilling out the old one is also an option if you have access to the tools, looks like their should be enough material on that hanger to drill it out to the standard 10mm for a modern derailleur, although you'd have to find a equivalent threaded nut to secure it from the back (M10x1mm I believe), so if you're using a modern derailleur it'll probably be easier to just buy a modern hanger.

If you're only riding on roads you might get away with that guard clearance, best just to give it a test ride. You'll quickly find out it's too tight if you hear rubbing as something passes between the tire and guard.

Today's derailers mount with a 10mm x 1mm thread. That thread pitch is not the standard M10 thread, that being 10 x 1.5, but those taps are available and any mechanic should be able to do the job for you of modifying that hanger.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Quite normal to have a hanger like that on older frames but you may baffle some of the younger shop assistants with it, what you need is an old established shop and a guy over 50, he'll know exactly what it is and probably have one in stock.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
After lots of "I'm sure I had some somewhere" type muttering, I got one from the LBS for £1.50. Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom