Descending Hairpins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm planning 3-4 days riding in the Alpes Maritime above Nice. While on the family holiday, driving in the area, I was mentally riding some of the roads and realised I don't have a clue how to handle a descent on really tight mountain roads. I'm not a fast descender at the best of times so how does one get round a mountain hairpin - 90 / 180 degree bends - at a reasonable speed but without crashing? I don't want to spend hours hanging on the brakes.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Brake well before the bend and be off the brakes as you enter it...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
What I do is start by sitting upright, which will keep your speed down to about 30-35 mph. Keep an eye on the road beneath you, so as to avoid hitting the hairpin at the same time as any climbing traffic.
Then, brake HARD as you approach the hairpin. Take as wide and flat a line as possible round the bend - avoid the steepest bit on the 'inside' of the hairpin, and watch out for gravel near the edge. Your nerve will give out long before the tyres stop gripping.
Preparation is important here - before you go, fit new brake cables and a good set of blocks.
Maybe watch a few videos on YouTube of mountain stages of the Tour? They're far better descenders than you or I could ever hope to be, so copy their technique.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Doctor gives wise information.
Good stuff here too.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/descending.html

My own experience was practice practice practice makes perfect. Whilst on hols in south of France I found a good couple of local roads to practice on and build my confidence and techniques before screaming down Ventoux averaging 40mph and overtaking cars at 50mph.

Couple things, braking in corners is possible, but be gentle and again practice. Look down the road not into the corner... oh, and it's bloody scary the first few times when you let go of the brakes and the bike shoots off at a scary pace, but learn to relax and you'll find just how good you and you're bicycle really are!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur

Fiona N

Veteran
The big, big thing is always to look where you want to go NOT where you want to avoid.
Practice deliberately running your eye line around the curve on the line you want to take and the bike will follow - easy :biggrin:

davidg

hairpins can have some pretty steep ramps, so best to check for cars and try and avoid the inside of the ramp. that cancellara video hasnt go any in as far as I can see.

take it slow in and cut across the road if no cars, but if there is a car, just dawdle round. it really isnt worth it esp if there is gravel or loose stones around.

there is technically an apex for a hairpin but for the man on the street, it's barely worth worrying about. just get round slow in and a bit quicker out!

edit or what the doc said, now I have read it properly!

Top Bottom