Device to hold mobile phone when I cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

Why don’t you and she do a dry run and plan a route together?

We did just that on Saturday (before the phone holder had arrived). Planned the route there and back and I stuck the phone in a top-tube bag and ran headphones to one ear. First time I’ve used komoot off a phone rather than just exporting to my garmin. Worked well for me but dont know how my wife will find it.

She was exhausted with the actual cycling but managed it, which was v good given she hasn’t been on the bike for about 18 months. Just needed a sit down half way (just past Worcester Park) on each run. If she does it regularly, she’ll pick up the fitness, but I doubt she’ll manage two or more days on the run this week. I did suggest we get her an electric bike but she reckons they’re a waste of money (actually I think she saw through my cunning plan to get myself another bike if she got one! Need to find another excuse...)

vickster

Legendary Member
We did just that on Saturday (before the phone holder had arrived). Planned the route there and back and I stuck the phone in a top-tube bag and ran headphones to one ear. First time I’ve used komoot off a phone rather than just exporting to my garmin. Worked well for me but dont know how my wife will find it.

She was exhausted with the actual cycling but managed it, which was v good given she hasn’t been on the bike for about 18 months. Just needed a sit down half way (just past Worcester Park) on each run. If she does it regularly, she’ll pick up the fitness, but I doubt she’ll manage two or more days on the run this week. I did suggest we get her an electric bike but she reckons they’re a waste of money (actually I think she saw through my cunning plan to get myself another bike if she got one! Need to find another excuse...)
Ah you're in my neck of the woods...
Where is she commuting to?
Not surprising she was exhausted, it's been crazy hot

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

Going from New Malden to Sutton, just over 5 miles using the route off Komoo. My wife wants to avoid hills and busy roundabouts, which the route did but only by specifying “couch potato” as our fitness level! Currently, the slight rise after Worcester Park station feels like a hill to her, and saps all her strength. My personal experience is that after a while your fitness improves and you don’t even notice the “hill”. But right now, it’s a pain, especially having to stop-start while cycling alongside double-decker buses

vickster

Legendary Member
Going from New Malden to Sutton, just over 5 miles using the route off Komoo. My wife wants to avoid hills and busy roundabouts, which the route did but only by specifying “couch potato” as our fitness level! Currently, the slight rise after Worcester Park station feels like a hill to her, and saps all her strength. My personal experience is that after a while your fitness improves and you don’t even notice the “hill”. But right now, it’s a pain, especially having to stop-start while cycling alongside double-decker buses
There's always going to be a hill - suggest she uses the 75 back routes all the way from NM (from WP up Browning Ave and down through the park behind North Cheam Sainsbury's and not the main road (I'm the Cheam side of Sutton and regularly ride to WP and beyond). Browning Ave is a hill but far less unpleasant from the main road, only used by a single decker bus too.

With the new C31 by NM station to Raynes Park, you don't need to go through WP at all if you don't want to. There's also a path that goes from near the Motspur Park LC all the way to St Anthony's too and then it's a short hop to Sutton, down a path behind Kimpton to Tesco and then just Collingwood. It'll be slower than by road, a little further maybe and have peds to negotiate but misses hills and traffic!

Last edited:

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

There's always going to be a hill - suggest she uses the 75 back routes all the way from NM (from WP up Browning Ave and down through the park behind North Cheam Sainsbury's and not the main road (I'm the Cheam side of Sutton and regularly ride to WP and beyond). Browning Ave is a hill but far less unpleasant from the main road, only used by a single decker bus too.

With the new C31 by NM station to Raynes Park, you don't need to go through WP at all if you don't want to. There's also a path that goes from near the Motspur Park LC all the way to St Anthony's too and then it's a short hop to Sutton, down a path behind Kimpton to Tesco and then just Collingwood. It'll be slower than by road, a little further maybe and have peds to negotiate but misses hills and traffic!

I need to play with routes! We live about a minute from the new C31 route but I hadn’t thought of going to Sutton via Raynes Park

vickster

Legendary Member
I need to play with routes! We live about a minute from the new C31 route but I hadn’t thought of going to Sutton via Raynes Park
I often ride that way. You should be able to avoid Grand Drive ( it’s much worse going in the opposite direction in the rush hours)

Top Bottom