Devils Advocate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixer Rob

having recently taken part in my first organised cycling event I was struck by a few things,good and not so good about cycling community.......
so,I may be setting myself for a bit of 'verbal' here but im interested to hear the opinion of others on what i observed........
THE GOOD.......
how tagging on to the back of a large group,25+,helps your pace and distracts from tiredness....
how riders in front of you give signals about potential hazards...
friendlyness amongst the less experienced/first timers...
group riders calling out if junctions are 'clear!!'
great sense of personal achievement....

THE NOT SO GOOD (my personal perception)
eliteism/snobbery by those with the 3K+ bikes and top riding kit...
how close riders pass you,,,more than once had to stick an elbow out to give myself some room!!..
large group riding 4 or 5 abreast blocking major fast roads even when made aware by riders at the back of 'car!!'.....
being overtaken at start of a climb only to have the rider cut in front then climb slower than I was!!...

il try to explain a couple of my gripes......
as a life long biker.....you would NEVER 'buzz' another biker you came across,,you dont know them,dont know how experienced or confident they are,how scared theyl be by being passed at close quarters and do not know if theyre likely to make an unexpected change in road position..

As a biker Im used to bad press,being considered a nuisance on the road and all round social outcast...I enjoy my motorcycle and am by know means an angel,,but if i went around pulling wheelies everywhere,cutting up other roads users and being a general pain in the arse i couldnt really complain about ill feeling towards me...so to my point about riding 4/5 abreast,,yes we're entitled to use the roads and are entitled to be given respect and space by other road users...but I dont think blocking a road when it would have been easy to allow cars to overtake does the public image of cyclists any favours......

is this the norm on group rides and am i being picky as a newbie......
Rob

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Yup, the norm.

There are always some very friendly types, and some not so friendly.

When I did my local sportive, the wiggle motion in mercia, I rode there and back. The roads around the venue were residential and had cars parked both sides that made the road narrrow (except at the entrance that was coned off), I was suprised to be squeezed by people that had done the event, and had their 4 grand bike on their roof racks.

I also hate to see gel wrappers disacarded too.

Top Bottom