Did Raleigh and other vintage bicycle company's import to India in the past?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadaboot27

I'm wondering if old bicycle company's imported to India in the past? From the 1950's and earlier? I'm just wondering if I went to India would I be able to find lots of pre 50's bikes and would they be the same as they are here? If not are there any other countries that I could find lots of vintage British bikes for a cheap price?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Raleigh exported all over the world as did most British firms after WW2 but I think that they already manufactured cycles in India as it was then under British rule. Raleigh was at the time one of the most prestigious brands due to their strength and longevity as weight was not a concern, reliability was.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's interesting to note that the Indian government completely banned the import of bicycles into the country in 1953. Importation started in 1890. It is still the second largest maker of bicycles producing some 12 million units a year worth $1.2 bn.

Nothing to do with bikes but did you know the largest employer of manpower in the world are the Indian railways.

Ern1e

Über Member
No expert on this but would 100 bikes fill a container ? One of our suppliers imports cotton from India and he says that if you don't fill the container the cost's are quite steep.He seems to not have to much trouble getting stuff back here and from what he say he always arranges everthing whilst in India becuase he says it save him money ! so maybe have a quick check around frieght companys and get a costing for a container and they most likley would be able to help on the customs aspect also this I should imagine will be the worst thing to over come as they may incure import duties or vat on import to the UK.

Top Bottom