Difference between cyclo cross and road bikes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Ive been looking at CX bikes instead of moving to a road bike for the flexibility, some of them are more like all purpose bikes, more relaxed geometry than a roadie, mountain bike gearing options and fittings for touring and mudguards. Others seem more aimed at competitive cyclocross where they have no extra fittings for guards/luggage and gear ratios that didnt really seem ideal for road use imho. Looking around almost every one I looked at was lacking 1 thing i was after. I liked the look of the Specialized Tricross Disc best, but im not sure id want alu forks on a £1200 bike. A lot of the others seemed to have quite low top gears compared to roadbikes (or even hybrids) with a 44 front chainring and a lack of granny gear which id probably miss.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_team.html
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_777731_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

Norm

Ive been looking at CX bikes instead of moving to a road bike for the flexibility, some of them are more like all purpose bikes, more relaxed geometry than a roadie, mountain bike gearing options and fittings for touring and mudguards. Others seem more aimed at competitive cyclocross where they have no extra fittings
Indeed, and VamP has, in the past, persuaded me of the pitfalls of liberally using the term "CX".

Cyclocross is often applied to bikes which should, probably be more rightly called General Purpose (or possibly Tourer) than cyclocross because GP bikes like the Tricross are very different from competition CX bikes like the CRUX.

I do still use the term CX to cover bikes like the Tricross, in the same way that Roadie doesn't necessarily solely refer to competition bikes, but there is a distinction between the sort of bike you might buy as a do-it-all steed and the sort of bike you might buy if you are looking to compete in the dirt.

mattsccm

Might I politely suggest that you will not notice the difference. if its your first dropped bar bike you will get used to it after a couple of rides. A CX might fell heavier but it won't be any worse than a mid range road bike. Buy something thats more racey and you will get less weight. Ask the shop to swap a cassette when buying.
Biggest difference? Road bike brakes are more powerful than canti's and V's. Cable discs are better but I still think a good dual pivot road brake wil be the best. If I had to keep one bike it woud be my CX, but which one??

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I ride a Genesis Croix de Fer. It's a cross bike, but I use it mainly as a roadie. But I know that if I come up on some offroad sections I can take them without worrying about it (depending on how much grip I'll get through the tyres). It's tough as nails, and a joy to ride - I love the feel of the steel frame.

It's not as fast or as good as climbing as a "pure" road bike (at least, that's the reason I give for my friend always beating me up hills!) but for me the pros easily outweigh the cons.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
Biggest difference? Road bike brakes are more powerful than canti's and V's. Cable discs are better but I still think a good dual pivot road brake wil be the best. If I had to keep one bike it woud be my CX, but which one??
I use Avid shorty ultimates and they stop me in no time at all, probably just as powerfull as road bike brakes

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I ride a Genesis Croix de Fer. It's a cross bike, but I use it mainly as a roadie. But I know that if I come up on some offroad sections I can take them without worrying about it (depending on how much grip I'll get through the tyres). It's tough as nails, and a joy to ride - I love the feel of the steel frame.

It's not as fast or as good as climbing as a "pure" road bike (at least, that's the reason I give for my friend always beating me up hills!) but for me the pros easily outweigh the cons.

Such a beauty the Genesis CdF :smile:

Top Bottom