Digital camera advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's time to upgrade. My dad just bought this-

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3682267/Trail/searchtext>SWING.htm

-and it's great. 10x optical zoom, 7mp. But it's big.

It is indeed big, although that's partly because it's a childrens' slide and swing set for the garden.:wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got the Fuji S9600 - and that's even bigger - basically SLR sized - but it's a fast camera and has far more features than I can use !

bonj2

My experience on the matter is that i've got a casio exilim that i got off ebay which takes abslutely awesome quality pictures, but its battery life is absolutely shoot. I think the lithiom ion battery must have degraded over time 'cos it can't have been this poor when it was new, it only seems to last about 20 pics!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's the problem with camera specific batteries - they do fail eventually, and can be a bit pricey to replace.

I've stuck with AA battery powered cameras - as the batteries degrade, you can bin them and replace cheaply. My Fuji lasted 2 weeks, and 2 GB of pics (50% with flash) and video on one set of AA's

Its big because of what it is....

I bought the s9600 several years ago as I wanted the advantages of an SLR format - the extra weigh and bulk are woerh it for an adaptability that you get over a compact digital.

Mr Pig

fossyant said:
I've got the Fuji S9600... it's a fast camera...

Don't underestimate the importance of speed. The last camera we had was so slow that moving objects can be out of shot before the picture has been taken! Sadly, many cameras are still like that today.

We've got a Ricoh Caplio which is both fast (it was the joint fastest on a Gadget show test a few years ago) and is great on batteries. It runs off two AA batteries but can take a Li one. We assumed we'd need to buy a Li battery, based on the appalling battery life on the last camera, but it's been so good we've not bothered. A set of normal AA's works great!

Top Bottom