Dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Someone has chained a new Trek hybrid to a lampost in my street. It's been there for about a week. When I first saw it I though it was a rather nice bike to be left outside all night, computer, pump, saddle bag all attached. Couple of days ago I noticed that the computer had been ripped off. Last night the pump was gone. This morning the saddle has been removed. I really want to save the bike from anymore damage. Would I be wrong to break the lock, salvage what's left and leave a note on the lamppost with my details informing the owner that I have the bike and I'm willing to pay for a new lock (very cheap BTW).

domtyler

Über Member
It is not your business EMD, leave it as it is. This is a typical scenario where someone tries to do the right thing and ends up with a load of grief for his or her troubles. Steer well clear mate.

domtyler said:
It is not your business EMD, leave it as it is. This is a typical scenario where someone tries to do the right thing and ends up with a load of grief for his or her troubles. Steer well clear mate.

You're probably right but I've seen the scenario before. Next thing the wheels have been jumped on, rear mech snapped off, then the thing sits for 6 months rusting to bits. Then I'' kick myself for leaving it!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
If it was your bike, what would you rather come back to? A mangled pile of wreckage or a polite note explaining that someone saved it?

I'm with Dayvo on this one.

Just think about how you'll deal with anyone who challenges you as you... erm take it into protective custody. It'd be typical for you to be just wheeling it away as the rightful owner turns up, who turns out to be 6'6" tall and just as wide and with a suspicious mind.

So on second thoughts, consider leaving it to its fate if it's set up for a Very Large Person.

;)

Alan H said:
What would you want someone else to do if it was your bike?

I don't even own a lock. I would never leave my bike outside!!!

barq

I wouldn't do anything without phoning the police first because otherwise you'd be in a tricky situation if the owner misunderstands your intentions. Sad that arse-covering comes before looking out for someone else, but there you go. It's decent of you to care, because most people wouldn't.

Top Bottom