Dilglo freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've recently bought an oldish (1980 or so) Raleigh which is fitted with a Dilglo freewheel marked 'Made in France'. I have half a dozen freewheel removal tools, but none of them are remotely like this: it's a big internally splined hole measuring about 32mm across. I can't find anything online - the only Google reference is someone who rebuilt a Bianchi fitted with one of these freewheels, and he had never heard of it either. No mention of Dilglo on the Park Tools site. Problem is I have a broken spoke on the freewheel side, so I have to get the freewheel off somehow. Anyone got any ideas?

I had an unknown freewheel i could'nt find a removal tool for,

ended up grinding it off bit by bit.

It was a screw on type, yours would probably be similar i.e not a freehub

If it's a freehub you may have a problem

OP
OP
F

frank.littlefish

Problem solved. I found a useful page on the Park Tools website, explaining what they called a 'destructive' method of removing a freewheel without the correct tool. Basically use a hammer and punch to remove the lockring on the gear cluster while the freewheel's still on the wheel, then remove the balls, pawls and springs, and that reveals a pair of flats on the freewheel inner body which you can clamp in a vice and then spin the wheel off. Worked brilliantly. And the plus is that whereas Park Tools say that re-assembling the freewheel is next to impossible and you micht as well throw the bits away, I managed to get it back together. So the broken spoke's replaced, and the freewheel is re-fitted, everthing cleaned and greased and working perfectly. And am I feeling a tiny bit smug about it? You bet I am.

Top Bottom