Diminishing Returns, What Wheelset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I’ve been looking around, reading and reading and reading up on wheels. Carbon, Aero, Clincher etc for upgrade to my current wheel, specifically for my first year racing in some cat4 crits and maybe a couple of road races. I was looking at getting some aero wheels but recently changed my mind for some stiff lightweight wheels.
Here’s a list of wheel, for the sake of the argument I’m sticking with Mavic, I don’t really have a proper budget, I’m going to get what’s cheapest for the best return and when I do it will be on finance. At the moment I’m leaning toward the Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS Road Wheelset, the price jumps a lot for the weight saving from this point on, and is it really worth it, are the returns diminishing when you get to a point, my wallet surly thinks that. Any comments/views?

Mavic Aksium S £197.99 (My Wheelset)
Weight (pair of wheels): 1735 grams

Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S Road Wheelset £359.99
Weight (pair of wheels): 1690 grams

Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS Road Wheelset £469.99
Weight: 1520 grams (pair of wheel)

Mavic Ksyrium SLS Road Wheelset £709.99
Weight: 1395 grams (pair of wheel)

Mavic R-SYS Road Wheelset £989.99
Weight: 1355 grams (pair of wheel)

Mavic R-SYS slr Road Wheelset £1439.99
Weight: 1295 grams (pair of wheel)

At the moment I’m leaning toward the Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS Road Wheelset, the price jumps a lot for the weight saving from this point on, and is it really worth it, are the returns diminishing when you get to a point, my wallet surly thinks that. Any comments/views?

I went for the same wheels for the same reasoning last year. Decided that the cost was far greater than any benefit beyond the Elites - the Elites have been a great pair of wheels, fairly bombproof so far and they have had a few hard knocks with "invisible" sleeping policemen hit at speed and more than a few potholes.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I went for the same wheels for the same reasoning last year. Decided that the cost was far greater than any benefit beyond the Elites - the Elites have been a great pair of wheels, fairly bombproof so far and they have had a few hard knocks with "invisible" sleeping policemen hit at speed and more than a few potholes.

Thankx Marmion, thought this was going to be a thread that just disappeared........
Although I think that is the starting point, as in no point upgrading unless I go for the Mavic Ksyrium Elite S WTS or above. Still contemplating going as far as the Mavic R-SYS Road Wheelset £989.99

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you are going to be riding some Cat4 crits and road races, expect to be taken down by a numpty or two. So I wouldn't go too expensive as you may need to replace them.
I used to use my best bike for TT's, but any crits etc, then it was the cheaper bike. Couldn't afford to replace the parts on the best bike !

BSRU

A Human Being
Jebus * NEWS: WE ARE CLOSED UNTIL EASTER MONDAY 21st April.
The 21st of April:eek:

Top Bottom