Ding Dong RIP Leslie Phillips.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
He was quite unlucky with his marriages. His first wife died in a fire. His second wife was a Bond girl. She swallowed bleach to commit suicide.

The fact that some people are convinced he was, what he portrayed as an actor and character. Just goes to show how good he was at his job.

RIP

Petrichorwheels

RIP.
Don't recall anything really objectionable in any of his "routines'.
(Willing to be disabused)
Never aware of any malice. Just an enthusiasm for the delights of earthly life.
Maybe some of the woke might take offence.
But some do at so much.
Tend to think of his characters as sort of real life tex Avery wolves.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
And if you actually watch a whole Carry On Film - not just a handful of funny clips - they are really dire.

But the actors knew that, they were professionals who were in it for the paycheque. Except I'm sure Kenneth Williams was torturing himself about his art.

I think that's a tad unfair. There are a few which are comedy genius all the way through : Up the Khyber, the greatest Carry On of them all, but Cleo, Spying, and a couple of others are also genuinely good. I concede that some are indeed woeful especially the later more crude and sexist ones which have aged very badly.

stephec

Legendary Member
I think that's a tad unfair. There are a few which are comedy genius all the way through : Up the Khyber, the greatest Carry On of them all, but Cleo, Spying, and a couple of others are also genuinely good. I concede that some are indeed woeful especially the later more crude and sexist ones which have aged very badly.

Khyber's my favourite as well.

You could argue that Kenneth Williams and Bernard Bresslaw blacking up is rather un PC by today's standards, but the final scene where they're all sitting down to dinner and acting as if nothing is going on, whilst the residency is attacked, is hilarious. The line from Williams sums it up brilliantly when he says, 'look at them, nothing we do rouses them, but put the tea in the cup before the milk and they go berserk.' 😂

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

I think the fact that they were dire was part of the attraction. They were dire in an entertaining way. A bit like Clint Eastwoods Fistful of dollar movies

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think the fact that they were dire was part of the attraction. They were dire in an entertaining way. A bit like Clint Eastwoods Fistful of dollar movies

The carry ons were barely watchable tripe containing a few highlights where the skilled comedy actors managed to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. Those moments are now used for splicing into highlights reels.

Sergio Leone's dollars trilogy was a landmark in cinema history.

Klaus Kinski vs Bernard Bresslaw

All IMO of course.

If you read KW's diaries you will find the cast knew they were churning out rubbish, but it paid the bills.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Mmm, quite an interesting read.🤔

1668366834232.png

https://thechap.co.uk/2020/09/22/leslie-phillips-3/

Top Bottom