Dipping a toe ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
... into the recumbent water ...

After long and protracted negotiations I have secured approval and funding to increase N by 1.

Rather than get another upright bike to join the 5 I already have I am thinking about laying down.

Now, the budget may be generous for an upright, but I am fast finding out that I am being limited to either a Raptobike if I stay with 2 wheels or a KMX if I have 3.

A few questions to start if I may (probably more to come) ...
  • I notice that neither of these have rear suspension ... Will this give a harsh ride?
  • How long would your average person take to stop falling of a 'bent bike?
  • How easy is it to get a trike through traffic?
  • When confronted with the potholes that festoon our roads, is is easy to guide a trike through them without catching a wheel and spinning?

Bigsharn

Veteran
  • I notice that neither of these have rear suspension ... Will this give a harsh ride?
  • When confronted with the potholes that festoon our roads, is is easy to guide a trike through them without catching a wheel and spinning?

I've never had a proper recumbent per se, but I can offer a bit of advice otherwise

If a bike has a decent saddle, or is made of material that can absorb the bumps in the road, you shouldn't have a problem. I know a lot of the KMX's use hard shell seats made of plastic, so they have a fair bit of give.
I wouldn't try filtering at all, personally, unless you have a clear oncoming lane all the way to the ASZ or your turn-off.
As regards to potholes, trikes are as easy (if not easier, thanks to a shorter wheelbase) to manuever and you shouldn't have much problem with that.

I'd advise against getting a KMX. Looking at their site the only one really capable of day to day use is £1200, for which price you can get a decent second hand recumbent, or better yet, build your own.

I see that you live in Edinburgh, so give these guys a shout. They hang out in Edinburgh and they'll (I should hope) let you test one of their bikes, so you can *actually* dip your toes before starting out.

sunnyjim

... into the recumbent water ...

After long and protracted negotiations I have secured approval and funding to increase N by 1.

Rather than get another upright bike to join the 5 I already have I am thinking about laying down.

Now, the budget may be generous for an upright, but I am fast finding out that I am being limited to either a Raptobike if I stay with 2 wheels or a KMX if I have 3.

I use an ICE QNT as every day commuting transport. It does have suspension, but I think it's unnecessarily soft even on Edinburgh roads.

My Raptobike has no suspension, & it's a real boneshaker. My glasses sometimes bounce about so much that sometimes I can't see where I'm going for short periods. It took me about a day of practice to not fall off, and after about 500 miles I felt reasonably happy for general bowling along, but still nervous in traffic. I get off and walk for some junctions. If the delta trike conversion becomes available, i will be tempted.

As a local example, My commute includes Ferry Road from Davey Mains to Crewe Toll. In the mornings 8.0 -9.00 , I can overtake on the right when appropriate quite happily as the traffic is flowing nicely an isn't bumper-bumper. Going home at ~17.00-18.00, D. Mains is block solid and the wide turning circle (17ft for a QNT...) of the trike means that if I overtake, there's a danger of not being able to get back into the lane. Hence I usually take the cycle path via Blackhall. The gutter is of course out of the question. The trike really shines at junctions & roundabouts - always clipped in and stability can be ignored.

Tackling the linear lunar landscapes which substitute for roads in Edinburg is part of everyday cycling, as I'm sure you are aware. With the trike it's just a matter of remembering where your 3 wheels are. The small front wheels are very strong and can take a remarkable amount of abuse- bumping up 3-4 ins of kerb/hole can be done at speed if taken square on, although with the risk of an odd broken spoke. On the Raptobike, getting a pothole wrong dumps me immediately. Catching the side of a hole tips the bike over rather quickly, with the resulting blue thigh and raspberry jam arm. The very laid back riding position foreshortens the view forward, so there's little warning of impending disaster. If I wanted a more serious every day 2 wheel recumbent, I think I'd look for something a bit less horizontal, but I bought the bike for fun, fully aware of the 'features'.

Icy conditions, of course, the trike is superb, although 3 wheel drifts downhill can be unsettling.

I've no personal experience of KMX, but while excellent for their intended purpose I gather that for normal road use it could be disappointing - maybe better look for a 2nd hand ice/catrike etc.

David at Laidback will doubtless be willing to help if he can, but if you want to try either of my loungers, I'd be happy to help. The trike is very leg length specific (set for 29 in trousers & cleats on the instep) , the Raptobike slightly more adjustable.

riggsbie

Coffee and Recumbent Trikes.......
I have recently got into recumbents after back surgery.......

I started with a used Greenspeed GT5 trike, little 16" wheels and tyres....looks alike a happy shopper bike initially but it truly awesome, excellent equipment, very stable, quite fast, no suspension - only the worst ripply tarmac shakes your eyeballs, it copes with gravel tracks pretty well and if it's too harsh I just drop the tyres pressures a bit.

I use it on the road and it's pretty good, a flag is essential !!

I recently got a Catbike Musashi (need for 2 wheels and more speed) - got off to a bit of bad start, it seemed so flighty and twitchy, a few big tank slappers at 45 kph - it really is re-learning to ride !!

After some great advice from people here to relax, and relax and relax some more I got a lot more confident and after 100km of riding was very happy on it. Uphill starts are not yet mastered but only I have now completed 200km on it.

It has no suspension and it's fine, here in Australia the roads have real coarse chippings so sometimes you get a slight back massage through the seat foam but the seat is a lot better than the GT5 mesh seat.

I am not confident on traffic filtering just yet but it's early days on the 2 wheeler but my low speed stability is a lot better, the key is remember to always anticipate and get in a low gear early and keep your cadence at a good speed.....

Just do it !!

Look out for a used bike for your first one but do try as many as you can !!

Paul

squeaker

Über Member
  1. I notice that neither of these have rear suspension ... Will this give a harsh ride?
  2. How long would your average person take to stop falling of a 'bent bike?
  3. How easy is it to get a trike through traffic?
  4. When confronted with the potholes that festoon our roads, is is easy to guide a trike through them without catching a wheel and spinning?
IME with a variety of 'bents (currently Grasshopper, Raptobike and Trice 'S'):
  1. Harsher than one with rear suspension
    whistling.gif
    , something with a mesh seat would be less harsh. That doesn't put me off doing Randonnees on the Rapto though ;)
  2. For me, a morning spent trying several different bikes in Greenwich Park (London Recumbents): start on an easy bike on grass to get the hang of balancing via steering with minimal pain: a visit to Laidback would be money well spent! Probably 500 road miles before I got really comfortable, but still can get caught out (just as one might on an upright - e.g. unseen patch of gravel)
  3. Less easy than a bike: really depends upon the roads, but I would not expect to 'filter' on my trike in the same way that I occasionally do on a bike.
  4. Yes.
Re: Raptobike, IME the basic lowracer is a bit of a compromise wrt gearing (depends upon your local hills), also a bit of a jump from a DF. People manage it OK (e.g. SlowCoach on BROL); but I suspect that I might have struggled without experience on easier bikes.
HTH

OP
OP
T
Thanks for the replies so far. I do intend to talk to Dave, it was through his site that I got to the Raptobike information. In fact it was a long conversation I had with him a few years ago when sitting on the grass after a Edinburgh to St. Andrews run that planted the first seed. Unfortunately, he is across in Glasgow this weekend manning a stall.

If I don't get a Raptobike or KMX, I will have to go the secondhand route. Is there a recommended marketplace to go for for this?

Bigsharn

Veteran
There's obviously the CC Marketplace, then there's always *the BHPC and Velovision classifieds, and the usual second hand channels for generic goods.

*(I hope this isn't classed as advertising, if it is please remove)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
David G at Laidback is a great guy, very patient and helpful.
thumbsup.png

I've had a couple of 1-hr sessions with him. Get an idea of what you want to try and he'll arrange to bring one or two down to the Meadows or somewhere equally mutually convenient and he'll help you get started. Took me about 10-15 mins to be able to start and ride off without too much wobbling - though it took son Duncan about 2 mins
blush.gif

Once you get used to riding around on, say a Raptobike (very low to the ground, so you can just put your hand down when you stop), try some others - they will feel quite different.

Try as many different bikes as you can/ want to - with and without sus.

David's site also lists his used bikes for sale ... like you didn't know :biggrin:.

Bill B-J

SunnyJim!

"I use an ICE QNT as every day commuting transport. It does have suspension, but I think it's unnecessarily soft even on Edinburgh roads."

You know you can 'stiffen it up', by either moving the position of the elastomer, or replacing elastomer with a firmer one? And I suspect you refer to rear suspension only.

I lashed out on the front suspension, to care for my broken back, and am very pleased with the result, after a period of contemplating, "it costs how much!"

100km, before I felt at ease on recumbent bike, (B1, really like it now.) The lower bikes can be supported with a hand out, if the major wobble is at low speed, which I think is the most likely; (that is more speed, more stability.)

Oh for a smooth road, fair wind, and absecence of seemingly hurried aggressive car drivers.:biggrin: Ok sun as well, and fabulous scenery, (available in Norfolk;) maybe even some company!

Top Bottom